Friday, September 11, 2009

Big Country Chronicles: 'Where... Rose Is Sown'

About one month after the release of Big Country's second full-length LP, 'Steeltown', the label released this followup single to "East of Eden". It was Nov. 16, 1984. Although lyrically the song is quite serious, I thought the music was upbeat in tone for the first time since "Fields of Fire" and "In A Big Country". During my teen years I preferred the extended version of "Where the Rose Is Sown". In my adult years, I have enjoyed the album version more because the song mixes so well into the next tune, "Come Back to Me". For me, the songs are forever linked. I almost never listen to one without the other.

I remember feeling pure joy when I picked up the 12"single for the first time and saw there were TWO B-side songs, as well as a 7" version of "Where the Rose Is Sown". I quickly learned "Bass Dance" was only about 100 seconds long and kind of a throwaway. My apologies to Tony Butler. "Belief in the Small Man" isn't the best B-side in the Big Country catalog, but I have liked it enough to include it in my Big Country mixes over the years. It is definitely not a throwaway. If you get the chance, take a look at the music video below for "Where the Rose Is Sown". Quietly, the band's videos were getting much better.

Big Country - Where the Rose Is Sown (Extended Version) (mp3)
Big Country - Where the Rose Is Sown (Album Version) (mp3)
Big Country - Bass Dance (mp3)
Big Country - Belief in the Small Man (mp3)

See Also:
Big Country Chronicles: 'East of Eden'
Big Country Chronicles: 'Wonderland'
Big Country Chronicles: 'Chance'
Big Country Chronicles: 'In A Big Country'
Big Country Chronicles: 'Fields of Fire'
Big Country Chronicles: 'Harvest Home'

No comments: