Tuesday, September 15, 2009

12 Inches of Love: 'Loving the Alien'

I'm going to be labeled a David Bowie apologist for what I'm about to write, but I can find at least something to like on every one of his albums. Yes, that includes his work in the '80s. Most fans hate 'Tonight', his 1984 followup to 'Let's Dance', and I can't even begin to defend the LP. "Blue Jean" was catchy, and I will never forget how exciting it was for me, a wide-eyed 13-year-old fanatic, when Julien Temple's 21-minute "Jazzin' for Blue Jean" music video made its world premiere on MTV. Besides that hit single (No. 8 on the Billboard chart), you could tell the rest of the album was a lazy job rushed out to capitalize on the mega success of his last record. There is, however, one other huge exception on 'Tonight', and this is it.

David Bowie - Loving the Alien (Album Version) (mp3)
David Bowie - Loving the Alien (Extended Dance Mix) (mp3)
David Bowie - Loving the Alien (Extended Dub Mix) (mp3)

No comments: