Thursday, June 14, 2012

Marshall Crenshaw's Subscription Series Nears


Congratulations to Marshall Crenshaw... and his fans. Back in 2010, you may recall me mentioning Crenshaw's next chapter would be a half dozen 7" singles released in a two-year period. There were no other specifics. I have to admit that by 2012 I had given up on what seemed to be a lark. Regretfully, I had not checked up on Crenshaw in quite some time. Turns out, I missed quite an adventure.

Back in April, Crehshaw initiated a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a most interesting endeavor. The mad genius plans to release six 10" EPs in the next two years, complete with picture sleeves and digital downloads. Each piece of vinyl will have a brand-new composition, one cover song and one re-recorded Crenshaw classic.

The $32,000 goal of the fundraiser was a lofty one, but 378 dedicated fans helped to quickly surpass that amount. Not only do these good folks get the satisfaction of knowing they did a good deed for a great artist, but many of them are being rewarded with one-of-a-kind perks Crenshaw promised for pledges at different price levels. One lucky (and no doubt wealthy) fan has even earned a Crenshaw concert in his or her living room. Whoa!

I'm overjoyed I'll soon own new music from one of my favorite artists, and I'm thankful to the handful of peers that made sure this would happen. Thank you. Well done.

Speaking of inspired Crenshaw covers, here's one from Elvis the Pelvis, performed on Dec. 2, 1983, at Philadelphia's Ripley's Music Hall.

Marshall Crenshaw - Little Sister (Live) (mp3)

No comments: