Monday, March 17, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 44)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

44. The Field Mice - "Sensitive"

Other Contenders: "Emma's House" the band's first charting single, certainly wouldn't be out of place on this list.

Chart Entry: March 11, 1989

Peak Position: No. 12

Comment: The title of this non-album single is oh-so Sarah Records, but this song (and "Emma's House," for that matter) had much more in common with something out of Factory. Listeners really took to this one, and it even made the upper reaches of John Peel's 1989 Festive 50 list. The momentum of "Sensitive" helped shoot the 'Snowball' 10" all the way to No. 3 on the Indie Albums Chart in late '89. As you may have surmised by now, I'm a huge fan of Sarah, and the Field Mice are certainly one of the label's biggest success stories, but I have never been able to get into more than 'Snowball' and the singles from that era. The first year of this band was so good, however, I can't help but count them among my favorites.

Buy "Sensitive" on 'Snowball + Singles.'

No comments: