Friday, March 21, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 41)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

41. The Jasmine Minks - "Cold Heart"

Other Contenders: The Jasmine Minks had some fantastic singles in the middle '80s, but "What's Happening" was the band's only other charting single.

Chart Entry: May 10, 1986

Peak Position: No. 17

Comment: This is one of a few Creation Records' "shoulda beens" that missed the fortune and fame they deserved. This song in particular reminds me of fellow Scottish band the Pastels, and the "cold hands, warm heart my dear" lyric gets stuck in my head with such regularity that an omission from this list would have been nothing short of a travesty. I dedicate this one to Dirk, the blogger over at sexyloser. I know you're a big fan of this one as well, and I hope it makes up for choosing "Beatnik Boy" instead of "Talulah Gosh" at No. 46. Cheers.

Buy "Cold Heart" on 'Cut Me Deep - The Anthology 1984-2014.'

6 comments:

Dirk said...

Cheers mate: I love this record, I really do ... and most probably I will listen to it again at immense volume as soon as I get home from work later today!

Anonymous said...

Friend of mine supported the jm for one gig. His band was called black sick. Alas friendship aside the best thing about them was their name

Brian said...

Black Sick... that was a good laugh this morning. Thanks, FORW.

Echorich said...

A wonderful band from Creations Imperial Period!!

Brett Alan said...

One of my all-time favorites. I really think it could have been a big hit if covered by the right artist; I've always imagined it as a duet between Paul Young and Susanna Hoffs. Not that it would have been better than the original, but at least it might have brought the band (or at least whichever members got songwriting credit) some portion of the financial reward they deserved for writing such a delectable piece of pop.

Brian said...

Well done, Brett. Beware of the Paul Young haters lurking about... I'm not one of them, but they are watching.

So right, Echorich. I imagine if Alan and the folks at the office had not been so busy with their stable of stars during this period the Jasmine Minks would have fared a bit better, but you can't really blame anyone either, can you?