Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Vote for Best Scottish Album From the 1980s

Thanks for the lively debate on the best album from Scotland we had the other day. I really wanted to do something with the suggestions, but I'm also mindful of the amount of time it would take to do an all-time best list. So, I whittled it down to tops from the 1980s. Sure, there are big holes here, but I think it's pretty good for 30 minutes of work. The biggest problem is including all of the albums from some of the more lengthy discographies. For every 'New Gold Dream' there is a 'Sparkle in the Rain,' if you catch my drift. Well, the list would be out of control pretty quickly if I went that route. So, I picked what I perceived to be the biggest vote-getter from each band. If you disagree with my pick, choose "other" at the bottom of the list and tell me your choice in the comments section. The other caveat was defining "Scottish band." For examples, Lloyd Cole makes the cut if it's an album with the all-Scottish Commotions backing him up. Eurythmics are here even though only half of the duo is from Scotland. I made these choices because I like them and wanted them to be here. Pull the lever now. Then elaborate on your vote in the comments section as you exit the polling station. Voting ends in one week.

Please Note: The entry for Del Amitri should be the self-titled debut album from 1985. I noticed the mistake almost immediately, but there were already nine votes by the time I attempted to repair it. Those votes would be wiped out if I made the fix. So, I'm leaving the error. Grr. Why did I rush?

surveys


Results to come...

13 comments:

Echorich said...

Well Brian, my vote has been recorded. Gotta give you props for picking the albums you did.

SteveJinSoCal said...

Well the vote of this Californian-exiled Sassanach is in. It was a pretty tough call tbh - but I have to say that there are songs on my choice that still give me shivers after 30-odd years. Cracking selection of truly great albums and pretty chuffed to see that I've got nearly half of them...

Brett Alan said...

My vote to The Proclaimers, although I think I may actually like This Is The Story more than the follow-up. Both great albums.

No slight meant to Del Amitri, Close Lobsters, or Aztec Camera.

Brian said...

Nice choice, Brett. I chose Sunshine on Leith for the poll because I felt it was the album for the masses... and that's the one we know where I am (USA). I think your decision to go with This Is the Story probably falls in line with a real fan. I'll make sure your nod to This Is the Story is included when I tally up the votes next week. Take care.

Dirk said...

Rather tough having to choose between 'Rattlesnakes', 'High Land Hard Rain' and 'Psychocandy'. All of them are winners, although I always thought that 'Knife' might even be a bit better than 'High Land'. In the end I voted for 'Psychocandy', because in it's entirety it really blew me away back then ... this stuff really was new and fresh and unheard before.

And when I get home from work today I'll listen to all of 'Rattlesnakes' again ... perhaps just in order to find out that I might have been wrong here!

Brian said...

Dirk, You can't go wrong with any of those choices... and its great to see some love for 'Knife.' If you decide to change your vote after a weekend of listening, just let me know. I'll mark your final choice at the end.

Séamus Duggan said...

Just had to be contrary - my vote goes to Tender Pervert from Momus.

Brian said...

Creation in the house! Thank you, Séamus. Inspired choice.

Anonymous said...

The Crossing
Psychocandy
New Gold Dream

In any order, perm any 1 from 3

Brian said...

Finally, some love for the Crossing. That is a really nice top 3, Anonymous. I could listen to those all day.

Aaron said...

Definately The Crossing!

Brian said...

Big Country... clearly staying alive in the hearts of many. Warms the cockles.

Brian said...

I'll be closing the poll at the end of the day. I just checked to see how 'Sulk' is doing... and it's not on the list. Huge mistake... probably in my top 3. So, any findings from this list are bogus. Apologies to all fans of the Associates.