Tuesday, November 19, 2013

12 Inches of Love: 'Hanna Hanna'

I have to make this short (but sweet) today. This is the third time in 2013 I have pulled out the old China Crisis for this series, but I promise it will be the last because I only have three 12" singles from the band. Of course, if I ever get lucky enough to track down the extended versions of "African and White" or "King in a Catholic Style," I may have to renege.

"Hanna Hanna" was the third single from the 1983 album 'Working with Fire and Steel – Possible Pop Songs Volume Two.' It was the followup to their biggest UK hit, the No. 9 smash "Wishful Thinking." By comparison, "Hanna Hanna" peaked at a modest No. 44. The extended version takes some interesting turns from the take heard on the album. I particularly like the nearly a cappella vocals late in the mix. If you are a fan, I think you will really enjoy it. If you aren't, perhaps the breezy "Hanna Hanna" will be the song to sway you.

China Crisis - Hanna Hanna (Extended Mix) (mp3)

3 comments:

Echorich said...

Wonderful way to start a day which will be filled with cleaning house, laundry and household budgeting. The more I reflect on 1983, the more I realize just how much amazing music came out that year. Sure 78 - 85 are the prime years for me, but wow 83 was a pop lovers dream year!

Brian said...

Yep, '83 is my year too, Echorich. That's when I started buying records with my paper route money.

China Crisis had quite a few 12" singles, but it seems only a handful of them were extended versions. Give me more China Crisis!

Uncle E said...

I've got those extended versions, but in MP3 form only...sigh...never enough CC!