Friday, November 15, 2013

Best Time to Warm Up to the Lucksmiths

Have you ever completely missed the boat on a veteran band and then tried to dip your big toe into the discography? It can be a challenge, but that's what happened to me a few years back with Yo La Tengo. I had a feeling I was missing something special, but with a dozen albums to choose from I didn't really know where to begin. Perhaps that has happened with you and today's band.

If you have ever contemplated succumbing to the charms of the Aussie outfit the Lucksmiths but were intimidated by the 11-album backlog from the band's storied career, now is the time to jump on the bandwagon. C'mon, there's plenty of room, and Matinée Recordings has just the record to get you started. The label announced this week the Lucksmiths' third (and arguably best) album, 'Warmer Corners,' is being released on vinyl for the first time ever. This is when the band expanded to a four piece and incorporated strings, horns and even pedal steel to create a record not just filled with hooks but with real beauty as well. It's a perfect example of everything a pop record can be.

OK, you may need a little luck to get your hands on the limited edition vinyl of this Lucksmiths' masterpiece from 2005. There are only going to be 500 of these worldwide. The album will be hand numbered and come with a download card. Matinée will also throw in 'Warmer Corners' postcards and posters while supplies last. Even though I have this on CD, I may have to buy this one all over again. Call now. Operators are standing by.... Sorry I got carried away with the commercial speak, but I can't help it. In my world this is exciting stuff. Here's the real deal: You can preorder now for a November 25 ship date. In the meantime, to whet your appetite, here's the single "The Chapter In Your Life Entitled San Francisco." Do they remind you of another band from Down Under?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great band , first frost just edges it for me

george said...

This is a nice little tune! never heard of them before your post. Thanks.

Brian said...

I won't argue with you, FORW. Nice choice. Glad you liked it, George.