Thursday, November 28, 2013

Get Stiff'd on Black Friday

This year's Black Friday edition of Record Store Day won't get me to my nearest mom-and-pop shop at the crack of dawn, but I did find an item (or two) worth passing along.

Razor & Tie has teamed up with a legendary label to release a limited edition and individually numbered 7" box set. 'Ten Big Stiffs' includes Tenpole Tudor's "Swords of a Thousand Men," Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know," Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World," Desmond Dekker's "Israelites, "Kirsty MacColl's "A New England" and five more 45s housed in the paper sleeves you remember from your youth. Here's a little video vignette on Stiff put together to promote this collectible, as well as an actual look at the box itself.





We could argue about our favorite artist from the Stiff stable, but I would probably go with Nick Lowe. He's still as relevant today as he was all those decades ago.

Now I'm not a big fan of picture discs. In fact, I only own one in my entire album collection. Perhaps I'm about to acquire my second. Just for the Black Friday edition of Record Store Day, Yep Roc is releasing Lowe's new holiday album, 'Quality Street,' as a 12" picture disc. There are only 1,000 of these available. The record has three Lowe originals, a song written by Ron Sexsmith just for his pal, as well as seasonal favorites like "Silent Night."

If you're not traveling far for Thanksgiving, you're going to love this song and video for "Christmas at the Airport."

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Nice Post!! Way better than everyone else's 'list everything under the sun' Sites.

Brian said...

Thanks Anthony. I decided against the picture disc and went for the regular album. It's 180g, 45RPM and comes with a CD version and download code... all for a few bucks less than the picture disc. The thing I really don't like about the picture disc is not having any liner notes. Still, I did hold it in my hands for a few seconds and really thought about it.