Friday, March 6, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 85)

85. "Miss Chatelaine"
Artist: k.d. lang
Year: 1992

I'm not really a fan. I swear. I was in college. It was just a phase. I was just experimenting. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

Kidding. k.d. lang has just about the best voice in the biz, and I still listen to the songs on 'Ingenue' (and the music of 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues') quite a bit. I converted very few of my record-shop peers during this period... too low on the coolness scale, I suppose... but I offer no apologies.

I particularly enjoy "Miss Chatelaine" for its throwback style and cheeky fun. Chatelaine refers to a Canadian magazine that celebrates wholesome domesticated housewife types, much like Good Housekeeping does. Lang is Canadian, and she was named the magazine's woman of the year in 1988. Curious choice, and one more layer to consider when listening to this fascinating song. The music video was brilliant, and she brought out the character for a trip to the "Arsenio Hall Show," too.



4 comments:

The Swede said...

Good choice! What a voice. Great song and performance.

Brian said...

Thank you, Swede. You and me. It's like the record shop all over again. Not many takers on this one. As the list moves on, there will be less of these, but I'm sure there will be a few more that go "clunk." Just trying to stay honest.

george said...

I'm susrprised tom see K D Lang in your list. I've just been told by my partner that someone once compared her looks to those of K D Lang's. She said she was WELL INSULTED!

Brian said...

George,
Lots of agape mouths on this one. Incidentally, my Mrs. liked her look back then.