Sunday, March 22, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 74)

74. "I'm Gonna Soothe You"
Artist: Maria McKee
Year: 1993

This is the opening track to 'You've Got to Sin to Get Saved,' an album that really grabbed me at the time of its release and has never let go. What's strange is that I was never into her work (solo or with Lone Justice) before this one, and I never bought another album after it either. Sometimes we have these brief moments in time with artists, don't we? When looking her up today for this post, I was struck by her varied body of work and relatively successful run in the UK, at least when compared to here in America. As far as the charts go, she peaked with Lone Justice's "Shelter" in 1986, but across the pond, McKee had a No. 1 hit in 1990 with "Show Me Heaven." I never heard the song until about five minutes ago. Meh. She also wrote Feargal Sharkey's "A Good Heart," another song that went to No. 1 over there. Another meh.

There were other minor hits for McKee in the UK, including the song I have for you today peaking at No. 35. For me, though, I'm perfectly content having her be a one-album wonder (although I have been tempted by 'Life Is Sweet' many times at my local shop). This song, in particular, is pretty powerful. The protagonist is ready to take the reins from a girlfriend who has treated her man so very badly. She's going to take care of everything. McKee really sweeps you in with her "soothing" voice, and I will tell you with a little trepidation and a blushing face that by the time she sings "lay your head on my breast, I'll do the rest," I'm sure McKee has this guy and any other one she wants within earshot.

7 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Totally agree re Show Me Heaven and A Good Heart. Her debut solo album is terrific and Drinking in My Sunday Dress is an epic song

Scott said...

Life Is Sweet is well worth getting hold of Brian. The demo acoustic version of Show Me Heaven is really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSw-FvSRXE. Easily one of my favourite female singers, she has a voice that would melt the stoniest heart.

The Swede said...

Great to see this here, though if anything I'd say that 'Life is Sweet' is even better than 'You Gotta Sin...'. It has a quality of classic pop beauty crossed with near emotional hysteria that's hard to put into words - as you can see!
(Take a look at this staggering performance to get the jist of what I'm on about. I've still got it on a VHS tape somewhere... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMImDHHxjo)

drew said...

Love Maria McKee, especially the first Lone Justice album and the first solo one. Shelter was over produced in my opinion. Her version of A Good Heart is lovely and as Scott says the acoustic version of Show Me Heaven is a lot better than the one that went to #1 here.

Have seen her live a few times and can come over a bit diva(ish).

Here is one of her finest moments https://app.box.com/s/xkrc9ulwy9bghl5usgdqmbehw6fyqsre

Brian said...

Blimey! I have been schooled! Thanks for the education, fellas. These songs have kept me busy this evening, and I am no longer content with my one Maria McKee album.

Misterprime said...

I'm with you, though. Sometimes an artist just drops something so great they don't really need to do anything else. I still love this album and listen to it often. It definitely has something unique. I think 'hysteria' is a good word, but it's the way it's just controlled that makes the performance. 'Why Wasn't I More Grateful' out-joplins Janis, for sure, despite the fact that I always thought JJ was overrated...!

Brian said...

Hi MisterPrime. How goes it in your neck of the woods? Pleasantly surprised you like this one. Seen any good shows lately?