Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bobby's Birthday

While listening to KEXP on the way home tonight I heard it's the late Bobby Womack's birthday. So, you're getting a twofer from me today. Now, it's been said that when the Rolling Stones wanted to cover "It's All Over Now," Bobby pretty much told the lads to find their own damn songs. Bobby and his brothers were making a name for themselves with it as the Valentinos, under the tutelage of Sam Cooke. Then the royalty checks started "rolling" in, so to speak, and Mr. Womack changed his tune and told Mick he and the boys could record his songs whenever they wanted. Now, I have no idea what he thought of this take from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, with Dr. John on vocals, but I have always loved it. The country tinge of the original is gone on this funk version straight outta N'awlins, but there is something about that tuba as bass that fills in that missing element quite nicely. Find this one on 'Voodoo' from back in '89.

It's All Over Now

2 comments:

The Swede said...

I used to own this Dirty Dozen LP, keeping it mainly for 'It's All Over Now', before finally letting it go at the end of the 1990's. Great to hear this tune again.

Brian said...

Swede, I had not thought of this song in many years until earlier tonight when I heard the original on the radio. Great to hear it again. I remember Elvis Costello doing That's How You Got Killed Before with these guys on their next album, and I think I got into them after they played on Costello's Spike.