Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 82)

82. "Thru My Window"
Artist: Jeffrey Foskett
Year: 1993

Uh-oh. First slip up of the countdown. Right now you should be listening to an anthem about working for the man, Superchunk's "Slack Motherfucker," but guess what? I realized a few moments ago that the single came out in 1989. I should never trust my memory. So, today is a spackle job, but a fine repair it shall be... if you like the sunny sound of the Beach Boys.

Jeffrey Foskett has been the backbone of Brian Wilson's band ever since the formerly reclusive artist returned to the stage in the late '90s. That (and hitting those high notes) will be Foskett's legacy, but he has recorded a few fine albums of his own, even finding a modicum of success in Japan, such as the No. 3 smash "FISH!" Today's selection was Foskett's first as a solo artist, and it's still my favorite. You can find it on the compilation 'Stars in the Sand,' a must have for fans of Mr. Wilson.

3 comments:

The Swede said...

Blimey, you can certainly tell who his boss is can't you? This is really good. Having heard Mr Foskett, I can't help but wonder if The Wondermints will make an appearance in this series.

Dirk said...

discogs say "Slack" came out in 1990, Brian, so give it a go, because it's awesome!!

Brian said...

Dirk, I checked the Tossing Seeds singles compilation... and you're right! I will slide Slack back in... and now it even gains a spot.

Swede, Yes, Yes, Yes, but it will be a long while before Darian and the gang show up on this list.