Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Costello Comp Tracks Universal Years

We'll have some news on a brand-new studio album from Elvis Costello in just a bit. In the meantime, Hip-O Select has announced a compilation of his work covering 1998-2008.
'Pomp & Pout: The Universal Years' hits the shelves July 27 and features songs handpicked by Costello himself. Let's face it: This isn't his strongest era. In fact, 'When I Was Cruel' is probably the only album I could recommend in good conscience, but the spottiness of the other records from this time period is exactly why I think this compilation is pretty good.

There aren't too many rarities here, but there are a couple of goodies Costello fans may not own. For example, I don't have the song from 'The Big Lebowski' soundtrack (pretty sure this one was done with Brodsky Quartet), and not many of us bought the Japanese version of 'North.' Then again, not many bought 'North' at all. One tiny slip, in my opinion, was not including anything from 'Cruel Smile.' The 2002 collection is full of remixes, live performances and a few other nuggets from the 'When I Was Cruel' era. Here is one of my favorites from that record and a strong cut that you'll find on this new compilation.

'Pomp & Pout' Tracklist
1. Bedlam (The Delivery Man)
2. Stella Hurt (Momofuku)
3. No Hiding Place (Momofuku)
4. This House is Empty Now (Painted From Memory)
5. Impatience (North, Japanese edition)
6. Tart (When I Was Cruel)
7. The Sweetest Punch (Painted From Memory)
8. My Mood Swings (The Big Lebowski soundtrack)
9. When I Was Cruel No. 2 (When I Was Cruel)
10. Ascension Day (The River in Reverse)
11. Dust (When I Was Cruel)
12. Country Darkness (The Delivery Man)
13. 45 (When I Was Cruel)
14. In the Darkest Place (Painted From Memory)
15. The River in Reverse (The River in Reverse)
16. Monkey to Man (The Delivery Man)
17. In Another Room (The Delivery Man: Deluxe Edition)
18. Still (North)

Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel No. 2 (mp3)
Elvis Costello & the Imposters - 15 Petals (Live) (mp3)

No comments: