Monday, June 7, 2010

12 Inches of Love: Paul Young Edition

I recently acquired a 12" single that had eluded me for quite some time. Don't you love when that happens? I had the extended club mix of Paul Young's "Come Back and Stay" from an '80s compilation, but I was having quite a time tracking down the extended club mix of "Love of the Common People." Much to my surprise, I found a promo only version that contained both of these stellar singles. I'm sure you die-hard Young fans are screaming right now that these mixes aren't difficult to find anymore. The original album the songs came from, 'No Parlez,' was rereleased in 2008 as a double-disc, 25th-anniversary edition complete with both 12" versions, as well as an extended mix of "Iron Out the Rough Spots" and other goodies. All I can say in my defense is that I really wanted the vinyl.

Here is a quick look at the vitals. Both of these songs were huge hits in the UK ("Come Back and Stay" peaked at No. 4, "Love of the Common People" at No. 2), and 'No Parlez' went to No. 1. Young wouldn't have a hit like that here in America until he covered Hall & Oates' "Every Time You Go Away" in 1985. That one shot all the way to No. 1. "Love of the Common People" did have a little success on American radio and MTV before peaking at No. 45. That's due, in some part, to its inclusion on the 'Sixteen Candles' soundtrack. As for "Come Back and Stay," it peaked at a modest No. 22. Young, obviously, was a huge commercial success here with his second solo album, 'The Secret of Association.' I even saw him when he toured this side of the pond in 1986. He was never more artistically interesting, however, than when these two songs were released in 1983.

Paul Young - Come Back and Stay (Extended Club Mix) (mp3)
Paul Young - Love of the Common People (Extended Club Mix) (mp3) ripped from my vinyl

No comments: