Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Curtain Call: Paul Carrack/Nick Lowe

Curtain Call is an occasional series where I present one of my favorite live albums.

I could do a whole week on live albums featuring the fabulous Nick Lowe, but this is the first one that popped into my head. I think it has a lot to do with it being a prolific time for the artist and the fact that Lowe shared the stage with Paul Carrack. Let's try to get in the mindset of this show from March 1983. Carrack was on the road to promote his 'Suburban Voodoo' album, which Lowe produced. Carrack's single, "I Need You," had just been a minor U.S. hit a few months earlier. Lowe was on the road to push his 'The Abominable Showman' album and the single "Ragin' Eyes." Like many Lowe albums during that time period, Carrack was the keyboard player and backup vocalist on 'Showman.' They sound great together, and I think you're really going to enjoy these songs recorded from the soundboard at Toad's Place in New Haven, Conn. For today's mp3s, I chose three Carrack tunes from 'Suburban Voodoo.' Lowe's three songs can be found on (in order) 'Labour of Lust,' 'The Abominable Showman' and 'Nick The Knife.' I highly recommend all of these records.

'Old Dogs, New Tricks!' Tracklist
1. A Little Unkind (mp3)
2. Stick It Where The Sun Don't Shine
3. Tempted
4. Cruel To Be Kind (mp3)
5. Saint Beneath The Paint
6. Give My Heart A Break
7. I'm In Love
8. Ragin' Eyes (mp3)
9. Cool Reaction
10. From Now On
11. I Found Love
12. I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass
13. How Long?
14. Lesson In Love (mp3)
15. Burning (mp3)
16. I Need You
17. Shake & Pop
18. I Knew The Bride
19. So Right, So Wrong (mp3)
20. Peace, Love & Understanding
21. Heart Of The City

More Curtain Calls
David Bowie
Van Dyke Parks
Robert Palmer
The Clash

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Back in the day, I wore out a tape I made of this concert from King Biscuit. Thank you so much for posting it!