Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Brian Wilson Collaborates With... Gershwin!

Many believe George and Ira Gershwin are the greatest American composers. I'll go with Brian Wilson. No matter what camp you fall into, all of us should be excited to hear that not only is Wilson taking a stab at some of the best-known songs in the Gershwin songbook, but he is finishing two of George's pieces of work. 'Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin' will be out on Aug. 17, and you can pre-order it here. The Wondermints, Jeffrey Foskett and the rest of the usual suspects will be backing him up. To whet your appetite, stream one of those new Gershwin/Wilson compositions below. If "The Like in I Love You" is any indication, someday, perhaps, the world will be talking about Wilson the way we talk about Sinatra, Fitzgerald and other great Gershwin interpreters. Hyperbole? Maybe, but I'm just so excited right now.

Wilson is recording this album for Disney's label. It's the first half of a two-record deal. The other LP will be his take on Disney classics. No word yet on when that one will be out.











'Brian Wilson Reimagines George Gershwin' Tracklist

1. Rhapsody in Blue /Intro
2. The Like in I Love You
3. Summertime
4. I Loves You Porgy
5. I Got Plenty of Nothin
6. It Ain't Necessarily So
7. 'S Wonderful
8. They Can't Take That Away from Me
9. Our Love Is Here to Stay
10. I've Got a Crush on You
11. I've Got Rhythm
12. Someone to Watch Over Me
13. Nothing But Love
14. Rhapsody in Blue/Reprise

No comments: