Saturday, December 8, 2018

Thank You, Pete

We lost one of our heroes this week. I say "our" because I can't imagine there are any visitors out there who didn't spend many a night in their formative years listening to 'Singles Going Steady' by Buzzcocks. I have said it many times on these pages, but once more won't hurt: I have never owned a better band compilation... period. You'll agree those first three albums were pretty special too.

I have spent the wee hours of this Friday night/Saturday morning listening to my favorite songs from Buzzcocks and the solo career of Pete Shelley. I didn't, however, go to the golden age. This will be inexplicable to all, I imagine, but my favorite long player from beginning to end is the virtually unknown comeback album 'Trade Test Transmissions' from 1993. I was working at a record store when it came out, and I just couldn't get those songs out of my head. I played it in the shop every day for weeks. I had just graduated from college and was completely confused about the future. Looking back, I think this album was the soundtrack to my final efforts at staying the kid that grew up listening to 'Singles Going Steady' over and over again. That rebellious spirit was desperately trying to hang on in the nooks and crannies of my soul, but time was running out.

In remembrance of the recently departed Shelley, here is a little mix of songs a bit off the beaten path of the most well-known albums. Thanks for everything, Pete. You will continue to live on in our hearts and on our stereos.

Breakdown
Howard Devoto on vocals in '77, but that's Pete on guitar. From the EP "Spiral Scratch."

Everybody's Happy Nowadays
Live at the Hammersmith Odeon in March of '79. The entire show can be found on the album 'Entertaining Friends.'

Homosapien
Clocking in at more than nine minutes, here is the Elongated Dancepartydubmix found on the flip side of the 12", circa 1981.

Telephone Operator
A minor hit from his 1983 solo album 'XL1. Like 'Homosapien, it was produced by Martin Rushent.

Innocent
I know what you're thinking, but I can't recommend 'Trade Test Transmissions' enough.

Totally From the Heart
It took three years to follow 'Trade Test Transmissions,' but it was worth the wait.

5 comments:

drew said...

Great post Bri

Echorich said...

A great selection Brian!

C said...

And thank you Brian. Lovely tribute from across the pond.

John Medd said...

* Fast Cars
* Ever Fallen in Love
* Moving Away From the Pulsebeat
* Walking Distance
* Orgasm Addict

Pop Judge said...

Nice post Brian. I admit I didn't really experience Pete's music much after the Buzzcocks but will check out your recommendations. I think they defined the term punk-pop for me and had a massive influence on a load of music that followed. The whole idea that the energy of punk could be combined with the joy of pop was a powerful thing.