Monday, December 31, 2018

NYE With Big Country

New Year's Eve means one thing for me... watching my all-time favorite concert. After a decade of turning the calendar year on these pages, you must know by now it's Big Country at Barrowland, Dec. 31. 1983. This year, I have even less going on than usual, so I should have time to make it a double feature. I have already pulled out the massive 'Big Country at the BBC' box set off the shelf. Disc four is a DVD that includes the last night of a four-day stint at the Edinburgh Playhouse, circa Dec. 31, 1984.

It's hard to believe only one year has passed since the Barrowland show. The band feels much more sophisticated. Nicer haircuts, clothes (no flannel!) and a fancier venue all play a part, but the songs sound more polished too. UK No. 1 album 'Steeltown' had been out since October, but the well-known songs of 'The Crossing' still dominate the short set.

The Barrowland show means much more to me. It was aired on MTV over here at the height of my fandom, and I remember the 35-year-old event like it was yesterday. The Edinburgh Playhouse show has its place, however, and I can't wait to usher in 1985 tonight. Happy New Year to you all. Stay alive!

6 comments:

The Swede said...

Happy new year to you and yours Brian. I'm hoping to catch up with your year-end rundowns in due course, though I'm a bit daunted at the prospect - you always cost me money! Have a great evening.

Charity Chic said...

Now officially New Year with your BIg Country post Brian!
Have a good one

drew said...

All the best Brian to you and yours Brian. Thanks for all the great posts

C said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Brian.

Swiss Adam said...

Happy new year Brian.

Rol said...

Happy New Year, Brian. Hope 2019 treats you well.