Monday, December 17, 2018

Favorite Albums of 2018

Another stellar year for the long player has me trying to whittle down about 35 candidates into a tight top 20. Here are a few worth mentioning that will just miss the cut. Missing on a technicality, the Just Joans had a new album released in America in January, but most of you in the UK got your hands on it over there in December. With the Breeders and Gruff Rhys on the 2018 calendar, both of those seemed like a shoo-in, but I find myself a little underwhelmed. They will, however, find a spot on the best songs list. The same also goes for Anna Burch, Eleanor Friedberger, Tracey Thorn, Soft Science, Drinks, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, the Orielles and the Limiñanas. Good albums with some great songs, but as I assemble this list today, not quite top albums material. Can you imagine the disappointment they must be feeling right now? Some old fat guy from Seattle thinks we aren't quite up to snuff...

20. (tie) Sharesprings - Paraparlor
More evidence the world is getting smaller. A quick but unforgettable 20 minutes of dreampop straight outta Indonesia.

20. (tie) The Treasures of Mexico - Everything Sparks Joy
Mark Matthews and Bob Collins from the Dentists are still cutting their teeth on easily digestible pop. Sorry about that.

19. Blues Lawyer - Guess Work
This Oakland band likes Flying Nun and isn't afraid to show it. Respect.

18. Juliana Hatfield - Juliana Hatfield Sings Olivia Newton-John
Even though I saw Blake Babies many times, it might surprise you this was bought at least as much for the songs of Newton-John. If I wasn't such a wuss, I would place this one much higher.

17. Molly Burch - First Flower
That voice you fell in love with last year is even better on this Austin-based singer-songwriter's follow up to her stunning debut. She has more on her mind than just romance too.

16. Various Artists - 3x4
Paisley Underground legends the Bangles, the Three O’Clock, the Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade cover each other's songs. The liner notes may be even better than the music!

15. Pete Astor - One for the Ghost
If the man behind the Loft, Weather Prophets and Ellis Island Sound has an album out, chances are he will have a place on this countdown. My hero.

14. Watoo Watoo - Modern Express
Word on the streets of Bordeaux is this will be the last album for Pascale and Michael. Fans of Stereolab-inspired music mourn.

13. The Monochrome Set - Maisieworld
Amazing to consider 40 years into their career this decade might be their must fruitful. Can't wait to see them in 2019.

12. Math and Physics Club - Lived Here Before
The death of lead guitarist James Werle makes this one difficult to listen to right now. With the passage of time, I suspect this one will be looked on as one of the band's best.

11. Various Artists - Four Band Comp
New and previously unreleased tracks by Sarah stars Even as We Speak, Boyracer, Secret Shine and Action Painting!

10. Smokescreens - Used to Yesterday
La-La-Land band is known for its love of Kiwi pop, but on this second album there are new influences added to the repertoire that make them an even nicer fit on the Slumberland roster.

9. Wallflower - Ever After
Japanese jangle-pop vets return to give the sound of vintage Pains of Being Pure at Heart a run for its money.

8. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
The guitar-driven songs of this New Zealand outfit have more hooks than you'll find on a fisherman's floppy hat. There's still plenty of room on this bandwagon.

7. Tracyanne & Danny - Tracyanne & Danny
With so much time, tragedy and sadness since Camera Obscura's 'Desire Lines,' it did feel like we might not hear from Tracyanne Campbell again. We all feel relief and root for her with new confidant Danny Coughlan.

6. The Goon Sax - We're Not Talking
Riley Jones' increased contribution has much to do with the Brisbane trio avoiding the inevitable sophomore slump.

5. Alpaca Sports - From Paris With Love
The songs of Swedes Andreas and Amanda seem light as air, but heartbreak, loneliness and desperation are not far away. In other words, perfect pop.

4. Various Artists - Daytrip Records Presents: This Is My Street
Indie-pop favorites, including the School, the Catenary Wires, the Just Joans and Cosines, are recruited by a small Welsh label to cover songs by the Kinks. A dream come true!

3. The Perfect English Weather - Don't You Wanna Feel the Rain?
I have to hand it to the Pickles Clan. To have me anticipating releases by their personal side project with the same enthusiasm as a new Popguns album is no mean feat, and the themes of this album really hit home to this "maturing" music fan.

2. The Chills - Snow Bound
After getting his feet wet again a few years ago with welcome comeback album 'Silver Bullets,' Martin Phillipps feels fully back this time. Best effort since 'Submarine Bells.'

1. Shannon Shaw - Shannon in Nashville
She leaves the Clams at home for a solo venture with the help of Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys and a band that backed Elvis, Roy and Dusty. The result is a little Lesley Gore and a lot Shangri-Las.

12 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

I loved Pete Astor's Spilt Milk album but didn't get this year's. Must remedy that.

Echorich said...

Excellent list Brian! The Monochrome Set and Peter Astor albums were certainly highlights. And how good is it to hear the wonderful voice of Tracyanne Campbell again?!

Pop Judge said...

As ever, you have quite a few of my favourites in there so I must check out some of the others. I only discovered New Zealand's The Beths a few weeks ago but really love their sound and Australia doing Ok too with The Goon Sax who we saw recently in Brighton. Bring on 2019!

Pop Judge said...

But you left out Anna Burch? I must have played it 20 times. LUMP was my favourite.

Brian said...

JP, Been trying to decide which Anna Burch song to put on the next list. There are at least four candidates. So, yeah, the album should have probably been on here somewhere. Was really enjoying it on the car tonight.

SA, Spilt Milk was so good. This new one didn’t quite hit me over the head like that one, but it has continued to grow on me lo these many months.

Echorich, I hope the Monochrome Set is appearing in your neck of the woods next year. They are coming over for a bit. Enjoying your songs list. Can’t wait for the next installment.

Rol said...

Definitely some to check out there... and I think you may have just thrown me an inadvertent compliment. Seems I may not be as much of a wuss as I thought...

Brian said...

I remember you liking this one, Rol. I was excited enough I actually preordered it. Had to go the CD route. The price of the vinyl was absurd. Just sorting out which song will be on the favorite songs list. Not a duff note on this one.

mk is Watoo said...

Thanks a lot for including Watoo Watoo inb your list -we're no more married, though ;)
Now I play in Vacance: https://www.facebook.com/vacancepop/
& she's in Montclair with her new husband: https://www.facebook.com/MONTCLAIRpopmusic/

I'd completly forgotten to give the Pete Astor album a listen! Shame on me. A hero for me, too.

mk

McPop said...

Brian-
I'm late to comment on your 2018 best albums list. As usual, I agree with many on your list including The Chills, Goon Sax, Beths, Smokescreens, Math and Physics Club, Pete Astor, and Treasures of Mexico. My list would also include Rolling Blackouts CF, Sloan, Starbelly, Bent Van Looy, Bird Streets, Ocean Party, Dropkick, The Love-birds, Massage, Sea Pinks, Matthew Sweet (RSD release), Dot Dash and Tony Molina. I will be checking out some of the other albums on your list that I missed.

Thanks again for keeping the blog going. Sorry I haven't been better about commenting but I always enjoy the reading. Happy New Year! - Matt

Brian said...

McPop, I was hoping you would stop by. I always enjoy your picks. You have a few here I haven’t heard, and I will investigate. A glaring omission on my part is Ocean Party. I just heard it about a week ago. Wow! Really good.

Brian said...

Michael, My apologies for that error. I’ll fix it up today. Yikes.

McPop said...

Yeah, Ocean Party is one of my favorite bands of the last couple years. They’ve been very prolific and I’ve picked up the majority of their albums. Tragically, one of their primary singer/songwriters Zac Denton recently passed away at the age of 24. Very sad, but I believe the band has decided to soldier on in his memory.

- Matt