Thursday, December 20, 2018

A Festive 50: Favorite Songs of 2018

As my pal Drew penned just last week, here's "the most indulgent post in a year of indulgent posts." That's the last list. I promise.

50. Paul McCartney - Come on to Me
49. Flying Fish Cove - Sleight of Hand
48. The Suncharms - Red Dust
47. Gwenno - Eus Keus?
46. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - An Air Conditioned Man
45. David Bowie - Let's Dance (Demo)
44. The School - Animal Farm
43. The Breeders - Nervous Mary
42. Elvis Costello and the Imposters - Under Lime
41. David Byrne - Everybody's Coming to My House
40. Eureka California - Mkultra
39. The Orielles - Blue Suitcase (Disco Wrist)
38. The Catherines - Good Golly Goo
37. Juliana Hatfield - Xanadu
36. Drinks - Corner Shops
35. Stephen's Shore - Change
34. The Proclaimers - Angry Cyclist
33. The Ocean Blue - Therein Lies The Problem With My Life
32. Watoo Watoo - Modern Express
31. The Monochrome Set - I Feel Fine (Really)
30. Sharesprings - Something Soon
29. Blues Lawyer - Unstable
28. Math and Physics Club - Threadbare
27. Comet Gain - If Not Tomorrow
26. Nick Lowe - Tokyo Bay
25. Pete Astor - One for the Ghost
24. Wallflower - I Wish Spring Would Last Forever
23. The Chills - Snow Bound
22. Tracyanne & Danny - Alabama
21. Molly Burch - To the Boys
20. The Limiñanas (featuring Peter Hook) - The Gift
19. Okama Flannel Boy - Carolina St.
18. The Treasures of Mexico - Super Cute
17. La Luz - Cicada
16. Gruff Rhys - Frontier Man
15. Pylon Reenactment Society - Messenger
14. Rays - Yesterday's Faces
13. Alpaca Sports - I'll Do Anything You Want
12. The Goon Sax - Make Time 4 Love
11. Charles Bradley - I Feel a Change
10. Tracey Thorn - Queen
9. Boyracer - Walls Come Tumbling Down
8. Anna Burch - 2 Cool 2 Care
7. The Hit Parade - Happy World
6. Smokescreens - Waiting for the Summer
5. The Perfect English Weather - Rockin' to the Beat
4. The Catenary Wires - Was That Love?
3. Shannon Shaw - Cryin' My Eyes Out
2. The Beths - You Wouldn't Like Me
1. Jetstream Pony - Self-Destruct Reality

6 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Brian - you have surpassed yourself!
Plenty there to explore during the Festive period

John Medd said...

As I said to The Swede over at his place, such a lot of tunes. I'll cherry pick some of them for a Playlist and see how I get on.

Have a good Christmas Brian.

Dirk said...

Finally I just found SOMETHING reasonable to do on Christmas Eve!

Thanks, mate!

drew said...

Plenty in here and your albums of the year for me to check out Brian, although I'm not sure about the McCartney I knew the Gain would get a mention.

Brian said...

Thanks, fellas. My best to you this holiday season. Hope you find something here to dig. Drew, I'm an unapologetic McCartney fan. Most in our corner are not. The new album was never considered for the list, but there are a couple of good songs... like most of his albums this century. This last spot was more or less a coin flip between him, Eleanor Friedberger, Dot Dash, Soft Science and a few bands on that Kinks tribute album I mentioned yesterday. The line was drawn here because it was good enough for Peel. I get it, though. Many will think I should have stopped at 49.

C said...

Wow, what a list. I need to take some time to come back, relax and listen - I love to see everybody's picks but as I just said over at TS' place I'm struggling at the moment to keep up! There are sure to be some gems in here for me though, so thanks.