Wednesday, May 30, 2018

I Tought I Taw a Postcard Tat

The family went to Portland this weekend. That meant a quick stop at Crossroads to visit my favorite record stall. Mrs. LTL and the boys waited in the car while I ran in for a quick perusal. About two minutes into my search, Mrs. LTL tapped me on the shoulder. "Uh-oh," I thought, thumbing through the records a bit faster, "my time must be up." Instead, she pointed to someone she had noticed through the window. "I think that woman has a Postcard Records tattoo," she said excitedly. "I'm going to go talk to her."

The woman seemed as shocked about running into someone who correctly identified the tattoo as we were discovering it. Turns out she and her husband own the very stall I have obsessed about on these pages all these years. Oh, and the husband has a matching Postcard tattoo to boot. Their mutual admiration of Postcard can be traced to one band... Josef K. Now that's what I call the backbone to a successful marriage! I can't tell you how exciting it is to know there are other Postcard obsessives in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously, I'm on a Josef K kick now. Let's listen to a favorite of mine from the band's final Peel Session, circa June 22, 1981.

The Missionary

12 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Good to see that the Pacific Northwest Josef K fan club is growing in numbers
Impressive spot by Mrs LTL

Charity Chic said...

Great post heading too

The Swede said...

Terrific Brian, just terrific.

Swiss Adam said...

Great photo of the tat too.

Anonymous said...

I am admiring my own SAW productions tattoo as I write

Post-Punk Monk said...

Oooh! If you have to have a tattoo, why not do something willfully obscure like a Postcard Records logo cat? I was only at Crossroads once in 2008, but I found so much goodness there! We need more record stores run like an antiques mall. It makes the browsing whole volumes better when multiple sensibilities curate the stock. Special kudos for having a wife that would recognizer that tattoo as well!

C said...

Ah, love this. Kudos to all! And for the title of your post too...

Dirk said...

... and I thought the t-shirt we got in Glasgow was cool ... the tattoo is of course much cooler!

Brian said...

FORW, I would have pegged you with a tat of the Roddy guitar logo.

PPM, The location of Crossroads changed last year, but the vibe is the same. Mrs. LTL got me a beautiful Postcard print for the music room last Christmas. She knows the logo well. I should have shown the woman at Crossroads. I had a picture of it on my phone. In fact, I had a picture of myself in from of Postcard HQ at 185 Princes St in Glasgow too. Ah, well, next time.

Dirk, I wear that T-shirt so often I'm going to need another one soon.

C, This post pales in comparison to your last effort. "Beer." Classic.

Howard said...

what a great Chance Meeting.

Brian said...

Howard, Well done. I can't believe I didn't use that one. Ridiculous!

JC said...

Wow.

One of the best things I've ever read on t'internet.

And with that I'll call it a night but with the promise of returning tomorrow in the hope of getting through the rest of the year.