Wednesday, July 15, 2015

When the Wife's Away, Scritti Politti Will Play

Mrs. LTL is in San Jose and Chicago this week. So, the headphones are off, the volume is up and me and the boys (get 'em while they're young!) are free to dance to Green's hit-making years of the 'Cupid & Psyche '85' era without my wife covering her ears and yelling "la-la-la, I'm not listening!" The "Scritti Politti Turntable Mix" is a six-and-a-half minute mashup of the singles "Wood Beez," "Absolute" and "Hypnotize." No, this one won't change your life, but it is an interesting curiosity. The song was remixed by Mastermind and was the B-side of the double A-side "The Word Girl"/"Flesh & Blood" 12" maxi-single.

If you're scratching your head and wondering why your 12" of this one (I'm talking to you, George) has a Julian Mendelsohn mix of "The Word Girl/Flesh & Blood (Version)" as its B-side, it's because there were two different 12" singles released in the UK... an obvious way for Virgin to take advantage of suckers like myself. This album is where many early fans said "so long Scritti," but it probably won't surprise you that I love all five of the saccharine singles from 'Cupid & Psyche '85.'

"Scritti Politti Turntable Mix"

6 comments:

The Swede said...

Rarely has Mrs S been as vocal in her displeasure about something I've played, as when I checked out this mix - Mrs LTL has an ally!

Brian said...

Swede,
I don't know if my better half has ever heard this one. I probably didn't have the courage to play it in her presence. This mix might bring out the suitcases, and it sounds like she would have plenty of sympathy and a warm bed in your guest room.

George said...

Brian, those poor suffering bairns listened to this?

Brian said...

George, They love it, but the bairns listen to Kidz Bop too. So, I guess I can't really use them to defend this one.

Echorich said...

FAIRLIGHTS TO THE FRONT!!! Infectious isn't at all adequate to describe the affect Cupid + Psyche '85 has on me. Once this album and it's remixes hit my headphone, I am transported to a carefree, hedonistic world. It's great when music can truly be an escape.

Brian said...

Echorich to the rescue! Even if this "turntable mix" isn't much, those 12" singles mean the world to me as well, and they are never far away from my platter.