Monday, July 27, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 28)

28. "Old Red Eyes Is Back"
Artist: The Beautiful South
Year: 1992

The Housemartins were the self-proclaimed fourth-best band from Hull, but they were No. 1 in my heart. Much like the fellow left-leaning McCarthy, it felt like the Housemartins came and went in the blink of an eye, but there would be much success from the family tree. I kept an ear on all of the offshoots, including Fatboy Slim and Paul Heaton's solo work, but nothing really did it for me like the Housemartins. Even most of the Beautiful South's incredibly successful work left me cold, but "Old Red Eyes Is Back" was an exception. If I counted correctly, this song was the seventh of a whopping 20 charting UK singles during the 1990s and the first from '0898,' the bands third album. So, what do I know? It's arguably the closest they ever sounded to the Housemartins, but like much of their music at the time, it also had a lounge-like element. "Old Red Eyes Is Back" is the only song by the Beautiful South that I own as a traditional 7" single, which I'm sure plays no small part in my love for this one.

4 comments:

kevinpat said...

Oh, but there's this. Awhile I go I got a musical crush on the songs of Willie Nelson. Never much cared for him before and I know this is blasphemy but his voice…well irritates me. Sorry! But I collected a few cover versions of his songs and got enamored and went on a mad search and made three CD collections of the songs of Willie Nelson. I just happened to fall onto this one and it was on heavy rotation for weeks. When I saw your Beautiful South post I went back to listen to this gorgeous cover they did of Willie Nelson's gem "Valentine". Yes, perhaps it wobbles on that tightrope of charm or schmaltz, but for me it's perfect. (I can get schmaltzy with the best of them.) For the romantic at heart……..

The Beautiful South ~ "Valentine" (written by Willie Nelson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60LoLX5NeT0

kevinpat said...

And then there's this:

The Beautiful South ~ "Valentine's Day Wank"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_p1C47v_P4

(hehehehehehehe)

Brian said...

Well, that's quite nice. I never heard that one before. Thank you.

The Swede said...

I didn't see this one coming! I loved The Housemartins, but just couldn't get to grips with The Beautiful South for some reason, I gave up after 'My Book' I think. Paul Heaton is still a top geezer though and a regular (and very amusing) guest on 6Music. His solo live shows sound like they're a bit of a hoot too. I must try to catch up with him one day.