Tuesday, December 17, 2013

If I Had Another Shot at My 2012 List...

This is one I didn't hear in time to make my best albums of 2012 list, but it certainly captured my attention for just about the entirety of 2013. 'Arab Spring,' the debut full length by Austin-based band Literature, is not the sort of record that breaks new ground, but its beauty is in its simplicity. Others have compared them to the Pains of Being Pure of Heart, but I think I hear the poppy jangle of the Lodger and the hard guitar of the Exploding Hearts... may they rest in peace. And, of course, they are all paying homage to what's best about late '70s punk and rock. History really does repeat itself.

Add it all up and you get 10 tracks and 22 quick minutes of lo-fi fun. If you're a parent, it's the perfect soundtrack when you're sent off to the store or stuck doing the dishes. Have you ever caught yourself doing the pogo while scrubbing that plate? This year, I did.

If you only have two minutes to spare, go straight to "Push-Up Bra" (track 3) on the player below. There's a real Buzzcocks vibe to that one.

No comments: