Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Shout Out For Talulah Gosh's 'Talulah Gosh'

Here's a lazy game I have been saving in my head for a day when I don't have much time to post. This is the day.

Quite a few bands have a song named after themselves, such as "X" from X's album 'Blue Blood.' Among those, a handful of them are pretty good. Madness is the only one I can think of that pulled off this feat twice, first with the Prince Buster cover "Madness" and, later, with "Madness (Is All In The Mind)." I also like Talk Talk's "Talk Talk" quite a bit, but that's a very early single that doesn't quite capture just how talented the band would later become. "They Might Be Giants" is on my favorite TMBG album, 'Flood,' but it's not the best song on the LP... by a long shot. There are others worthy of honorable mentions, such as "Van Dyke Parks," "Fishbone" and "Tin Machine." but here's my pick for best song/band with the same name.

If you're a Sarah Records fan and know the twee pop of Heavenly, and they could almost make this list with "Our Love Is Heavenly," then you probably know many of the band's members were briefly part of the C86 scene as Talulah Gosh. The single "Talulah Gosh" came out on the legendary (at least in my mind) 53rd & 3rd label in 1987. Give this bit of jangle a listen. Do you have a favorite song/band with the same name?

Talulah Gosh - Talulah Gosh (mp3)

No comments: