Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pure Pop From the Brilliant Corners

Fans of the Brilliant Corners seem to fall into two camps:
1) pre "Brian Rix"
2) post "Brian Rix"
Can't we all just get along? There is no doubt the band's sound became decidedly more twee about the time this song came out in 1987, but I rather like the jangle. For those of you who don't know who Brian Rix is (that's most of us on this side of the pond), he's an old actor and humanitarian that's famous for being caught sans trousers on a bunch of BBC shows. That's why Davey Woodward has his pants around his ankles during much of the promo video for the song. Rix himself makes an appearance at the end of the video, and proceeds from the single went to Rix's charity, Mencap. If you would like to help, it's a great cause, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your dough.

As for my copy of the song, I have it as a bonus track on the Canadian reissue of the band's 1988 album, 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' (on the label Pearls From the Past). I would link you to it, but I'm not finding this version of the album anywhere.

The Brilliant Corners - Brian Rix (mp3)

No comments: