Monday, April 29, 2013

'...No Commies in My Car. No Christians Either'


Bergman, Truffaut, Cassavetes, Altman, Kubrick... Cox? Damn straight. What does Alex Cox have in common with these legendary directors? Their films have been deemed crucial enough to be a part of the Criterion Collection. Nobody brings a film to DVD like the Criterion folks, and I was pleased as punch to read that earlier this month one of my all-time favorite flicks, 'Repo Man,' had just become one of their latest releases. The director-approved special edition has plenty of extras, but the best of the lot is audio commentary with Cox and executive producer Michael Nesmith, as well as new interviews with Iggy Pop and Dick Rude. I'm pretty excited about the deleted scenes too.

We all have one of those movies we've seen so many times that we can recite it forwards and backwards. Well, this one is mine, and the music was the soundtrack of my early to mid teen years. Here are a couple of pieces Criterion has posted on the film. The first is Ten Things I Learned About 'Repo Man.' The other is a very entertaining snippet from the Iggy Pop inteview.



Keep making me money, kid."
Buy the 'Repo Man' soundtrack.
Buy the 'Repo Man' film (Criterion).

Iggy Pop - Repo Man (mp3)

1 comment:

Uncle E said...

One of my all time favorite movies, and as far as quotable goes it doesn't get much better than this!