Monday, April 15, 2013

Cover Me Impressed: 'Burning Down the House'


I rarely like any songs that make the Top 40. I was trying to think of the last time a hit grabbed my attention. I could be wrong, but I think it was either "Naked Eye" by Luscious Jackson or "Lovefool" by the Cardigans. Both of those songs came out in 1996, folks.

It wasn't always this way. In the early and middle '80s, I liked quite a few popular songs. I'm thinking about starting a series of posts on those hit singles that captured my heart, albeit in 12" form, but I'm getting a bit off track. The point is it was this idea that got me thinking about the Cardigans. Although I must admit I haven't pulled either of them off the shelf in many years, I liked the Swedish band's second and third albums quite a bit. I was looking at the records today and also noticed this nearby CD single I bought back in 1999. I have never been a big fan of the pop duets of Tom Jones. So, this is further proof I was really into the Cardigans for a spell. Enjoy four versions of a classic... and by "classic" I mean the original song from the Talking Heads.

Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House (mp3)
Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House (Delakota mix) (mp3)
Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House (Pepe Deluxe mix) (mp3)
Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House (DJ Scissorkicks Instrumental mix) (mp3)

No comments: