Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cover Me Impressed: 'I Fall to Pieces'


I'm trying not to fall to pieces, but this is going to take a while to get over. We have all missed seeing a band because we just plain didn't know they were in town, but I'm guessing this has never happened to you.

On Saturday night, completely out of the blue, I got to wondering what Michael Nesmith was up to these days. He's one of my favorites, but I must admit I have no idea what made me think of him at that moment. Quite random. I started fishing around and read that he was embarking on a short tour. "Ooh. If he's coming to Seattle," I thought, "I'm so there." I found the show dates. No kidding. Nesmith was playing Seattle at that very moment. In this day and age, when apps can notify you as to the whereabouts of a given artist at almost any given moment, there isn't much of an excuse for me missing this show, but the music gods seem to be rubbing it in a bit.

Two years ago this week I dedicated an entire week of posts to this hero of mine. Hope you were around to catch that. Today, let's listen to to "Nez" covering a classic from his 'Loose Salute' album, circa 1970.

Michael Nesmith - I Fall to Pieces (mp3)

Here are Nesmith's remaining dates. Don't make the same mistake I did.

April 3: Boulder, Colo., Boulder Theater
April 5: St. Paul, Minn., Fitzgerald Theater
April 6: Chicago, Old Town School of Folk Music
April 7: Ferndale, Mich. The Magic Bag
April 9: Munhall, Pa., Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead
April 11: Northhampton, Mass., Iron Horse
April 12: Rahway, N.J., Union County Performing Arts Center
April 13: Somerville, Mass., Somerville Theater
April 15: Philadelphia, World Cafe Live
April 16: New York, Town Hall
April 17: Alexandria, Va., Birchmere

No comments: