Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Let the Best of 2012 Exclusions Begin

Well, that didn't take long. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'm filled with anxiety when I release my year-end lists because I always end up tardy hearing a song or album worthy of induction. This is my latest exclusion. 'BMX Bandits in Space' was released in October, and I completely missed it. In fact, I didn't even know Duglas T. Stewart still had the band together. Last week I was in a record shop and came across a very early album from the band. I ran home to check out some reviews when I discovered the following video, the first song released from the new album. If I had heard it a couple of weeks earlier, this one would have made my Top 25 Songs of 2012.



To me, "Listen to Some Music" has the same vibe as the Beach Boys' "Add Some Music to Your Day" and "Busy Doin' Nothin.'" If you haven't followed BMX Bandits since the C86 days, you might be excited to learn Stewart has reunited with some old mates from yesteryear, including Jim McCulloch of the Soup Dragons and Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub. Sean Dickson of the Soup Dragons wrote a couple of the songs for 'BMX Bandits in Space' as well. If anybody out there has this new album, let me know what you think.

No comments: