Tuesday, December 11, 2012

If I Had Another Shot at My 2011 List...

Like you, I get my hands on great music 365 days a year, but I don't always hear new albums from a given year until well into the following year (and beyond). That's especially true of records that come out October through December. So, whenever I go back to my best-of lists, I'm always filled with regret. In 2012, however, for the first time, I actually kept track of my favorite albums from 2011 that I didn't actually purchase until 2012. The following four were worthy of praise at the end of last year... if I had only heard them in time.

Sea Lions
'Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Sea Lions But Were Afraid to Ask'
Released: Nov. 22, 2011
The parents of these youngsters must have had impressive record collections. This Oxnard, Calif., outfit isn't just influenced by C86. You would swear they opened for Tallulah Gosh 25 years ago. I listened to this album more than any other in 2012.


Blouse
'Blouse'
Released: Nov. 1, 2011
Here's another one that seems like it was discovered in a time capsule that was buried in the mid '80s. To appreciate the Portland, Ore., trio, you need only to gaze at your shoes. What atmosphere!


The Beets
'Let the Poison Out'
Released: Oct. 24, 2011
Calling all fans of the 'Nuggets' box set. It has been a while since it was worth visiting the garage.


The Wild Swans
'The Coldest Winter For a Hundred Years'
Released: Aug. 2, 2011
I have no excuse for missing this one. I remember it coming out, and it was on my must-buy list for a long time. I forgot all about it until a few months ago when Friend of Rachel Worth over at Cathedral of Sound had it at No.121 on his Desert Island Discs list. I was so inspired by the post that I ran out and got this one the same day I read it. Thanks for the kick in the keister. Even though it has been two decades, this record is not at all out of place next to 'Bringing Home The Ashes' and 'Space Flower.'

3 comments:

Echorich said...

The Wild Swans - TCWFAHY was one of the great unexpected joys of 2011. It's crazy how some bands can come back so strong after so long and other bands refuse to go away that haven't released anything of value for just as long.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention - i missed all the rest of your late purchases so got some catching up to do

Brian said...

Hi Echorich. I'm with you on this record. I would never have expected something so fantastic after so many years. Filled with regret I didn't pick it up sooner.

Hi Friend of Rachel Worth. I'm really enjoying your list. Here's why: It's refreshing to see so many records I don't have. Seems like all of our countdowns end up being so similar. Please keep me going to the record shop.