Friday, June 3, 2011

Mobile Fidelity Blues

Is there a rich audiophile out there who has purchased any of the great vinyl offerings from Mobile Fidelity? I ask because, perhaps, my all-time favorite album was just released in their limited-edition, numbered, 180-gram vinyl, sourced from the original master tapes format. The record in question is Elvis Costello & the Attractions' 1980 masterpiece 'Get Happy!!'

I have owned this one in every imaginable format, including CD reissue after reissue. Even though Mobile Fidelity has recently released albums from some of my favorite artists, including the Cars, B-52's, Echo and the Bunnymen, English Beat and Marshall Crenshaw, I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend the enormous amounts of money you have to pay for this supposed improved sound. For instance, 'Get Happy!!' is a 45RPM double LP that sells in the $38-$40 range (depending on where you buy it). For that kind of dough, I can usually buy at least four records I don't already own at my local used record store. However, I love 'Get Happy!!' enough that, for the first time, I'm genuinely intrigued about a Mobile Fidelity purchase. So, my question is, will I regret this purchase? My audio equipment is fairly low end. Am I really going to hear a difference? If you have an opinion on this, let me know.

In the meantime, enjoy one of my favorite tunes from 'Get Happy!!' The demo version included here can be found on the 2003 Rhino reissue. I think you'll like the band's brief Stax phase.

Elvis Costello & the Atractions - 5ive Gears in Reverse (mp3)
Elvis Costello & the Atractions - 5ive Gears in Reverse (demo) (mp3)

No comments: