Monday, April 12, 2010

Supergrass Says 'So Long'

Supergrass is no longer 10... as the art from their best-of package above suggests. Actually, the band is 17 years old. I feel so old right now. I read on NME today that the band plans to call it quits after a handful of summer shows in the UK and on the continent. The lads are using the old "musical differences" reason for the split. It's unsure whether the album they have been working on will be released.

I have to admit Supergrass is mostly a singles band for me, but they have had a handful of absolute classics. In the pantheon of '90s Brit pop, I put them a notch below Blur, Pulp, My Bloody Valentine and the Stone Roses but at least as good as Lush, Elastica and Saint Etienne. Here are my favorite Supergrass tunes. You'll probably notice most of these are from the band's infancy, but I feel the quality of their work remained constant throughout all six studio albums. How would you rate Supergrass?

Fab Five From Supergrass
Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz (mp3)
Supergrass - Alright (mp3)
Supergrass - Mansize Rooster (mp3)
Supergrass - Grace (mp3)
Supergrass - Pumping On Your Stereo (mp3)

No comments: