Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cover Me Impressed: 'Laura'

It's no secret that last year I fell hard for Girls. 'Album' was my second favorite record of the year. "Lust For Life" was my No. 2 track of 2009. This one, "Laura," landed at No. 15. So, yes, I am excited Mates of State gave out this one as a preview to 'Crushes (The Covers Mixtape).' There is still no release date, but check out the songs Mates of State selected. Prior to first listen I worried whether a male/female duo would be able to capture the passion and distress of the original. Not only did they do a great job, but they managed to make the song their own. I especially like the back and forth during the name-calling verse. Well done.

Tracklisting
1. Laura (Girls)
2. Son et Lumiere (The Mars Volta)
3. Sleep the Clock Around (Belle & Sebastian)
4. Technicolor Girls (Death Cab for Cutie)
5. Long Way Home (Tom Waits)
6. Love Letter (Nick Cave)
7. Second Hand News (Fleetwood Mac)
8. 17 Pink Sugar Elephants (Vashti Bunyan)
9. Roller Coaster Ride (Dear Nora)
10. True Love Will Find You in the End (Daniel Johnston)

Girls - Laura (mp3)
Mates of State - Laura (mp3)

More Cover Me Impressed:
"You're My Favorite Waste of Time"
"Nightime/Thirteen"
"The End Of The World"
"(Don't Go Back To)Rockville"
"God Only Knows"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"
"So Sad About Us"
"Everywhere"
"Walking The Cow"

No comments: