Monday, July 13, 2020

The MIDDYs

We are well past the halfway point of 2020 (thank God!). Since I have spent precious little time on these pages writing about what I have been listening to so far this year, the ballot is in (mine!) and the vote has been counted (mine again!), and it's time to unveil this year's MIDDY Awards. We'll skip the opening monologue of bad Trump, pandemic and protest jokes, as well as the long song and dance number about the nominees, and get to the first category.

Best Label (So far...)

The odds-makers must have had a peek in my music room because they posted Shelflife Records against the field. Save your money. This one was a cakewalk. New full-length albums from Close Lobsters, Jetstream Pony and Even as We Speak are solidly in my top five for the year. A quick look at what they have up their sleeves later this summer and into the fall means they may very well get more kudos come December.







Best Reissue Label (So far...)

This is a packed category. I have been enjoying quite a spread from Cherry Red, including boxes from the Monochrome Set, Primitives, Shoes and Revillos, to name but a few. Pete Paphides' Needle Mythology label is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The early '90s solo outings from Robert Forster are stunners. Sunday Records has dipped into their back catalog to give us another shot at underrated band They Go Boom!! They are upping the ante with a comp on the Proctors later this summer that has me giddy. Firestation once again fans the flames of desire with releases by the Orchids, the Church Grims, Friday Club, Graham Fellows and more. I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention how much I have enjoyed the two-disc blowout of 'Nobody's Perfect' by the Distractions (via Occultation Recordings) and the vinyl debut of 'Hotrod Hotel' by East Village (from Slumberland).

I could go on, but what's the point? It's no surprise this MIDDY goes to... Optic Nerve Recordings. The second series of classic 7" singles turned out beautifully, and I have also picked up the comp of Hangman's Beautiful Daughters. I'm anxiously awaiting the releases of the Wee Cherubs and never before heard music from BOB. That doesn't even include the reissues of McCarthy and Razorcuts that I somehow took a pass on because I couldn't bring myself to buy them yet again.

Oh boy. Here comes one of those dance numbers. Back next time with more MIDDYs.

No comments: