Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Sportique Week (3)

Today brings us to the last of the three albums from Sportique. The band is full of piss and vinegar on 'Communiqué No. 9' but are having a laugh or two along the way as well. Oh, and they are in a hurry to tell you about it. The eight songs clock in at about 17 minutes, and the message will come through loud and clear (often really loud). The band hates all art-world poseurs, and there are a few of them on the scene, eh? It's especially true in pop music, and principal songwriter Gregory Webster seems to have had his fill with all of the sellouts. Some may call it sour grapes, but I know none of you feel that way because you're here, and that means, like me, he is one of your indie-pop heroes.

The sound of the 2003 album is not too far off from 'Modern Museums.' You'll find more '70s post punk with a little '60s garage thrown in for good measure. There is even a forward-thinking experimental moment or two to be had. On "Arthouse Cinemas," I inexplicably find myself being reminded of the monochromatic early work of Stereolab. Sportique worked on this album with Liam Watson at his Toerag Studio in London. It was an extraordinary year for Watson. He would produce 'Elephant' for the White Stripes the same year and grab a Grammy for his efforts. Watson was a good fit for Sportique as he liked to work with old analog equipment. This was especially beneficial to Amelia Fletcher. Her efforts on the organ are the real star of 'Communiqué No. 9.' After wrestling with whether to play the humorous Other Peoples' Girlfriends" or "Tips for Artists Who Want to Sell Records," I have decided to go with the aforementioned song that reminds me of Stereolab and Komeda.

I'm also throwing in the A-side from the band's last 7". It was released in 2000, a full three years before Sportique called it a day, and I believe this marks the first appearance of Fletcher in the band. This is a poppy little number complete with handclaps.

"Arthouse Cinemas" (from 'Communiqué No. 9')
"Don't Believe a Word I Say" (A-side of single)

You can still buy these two releases. Here are some links:
"Don't Believe a Word I Say" 7" at Jigsaw Records in America
'Communiqué No. 9' 10"/CD at Jigsaw Records in America
'Communiqué No. 9' 10"/CD at WIAWYA in the UK

2 comments:

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

"the band hates all art-world poseurs".

I hope that's not a dig at Greg's Turner Prize winning old flame?!?!

MisterPrime said...

I've very much enjoyed this week's posts, Brian. Lots of stuff I didn't know about.I finally got round to actually listening to the songs today too. Great stuff - I particularly like 'Don't Believe A Word I Say', which has all the decadent melancholy of the Only Ones in their (short-lived) prime. Cheers,