Thursday, July 2, 2020

Sportique Week (4)

The header is a misnomer today and tomorrow because we are moving from Sportique to a couple of choice nuggets from Gregory Webster post Razorcuts but not with the all-star band we have listened to the past three days. If your fandom for Razorcuts is what has brought you to these pages, today's single will warm the cockles of your heart.

In 1992, a good three years after the last album from Razorcuts, Webster released a single with his old partner in crime Tim Vass. This wasn't for Creation, but it was another reunion of sorts. Razorcuts had released a split flexi with Talulah Gosh on Sha La La way back in 1987. The band had also appeared in the second issue of the fanzine Are You Scared to Get Happy in 1986. The lad behind both of these legendary relics, of course, was Matt Haynes, and he would go on to co-found Sarah Records. So it was sort of like a homecoming when Webster and Vass released Sarah 54 as the Forever People in a one-time spinoff of Razorcuts. The 7" was a benefit recording for Friends of the Earth. Like many indie labels, Sarah was known for their creative inserts, but this one was a pamphlet describing the environmental organization and how to join and give. Both songs are a good listen, and the flip side, in particular, is a nice bit of jangle.

I didn't realize until this very evening that these songs are included on the bonus LP of Optic Nerve's 'The World Keeps Turning' reissue. You can pick that up here. I'm quite sure it will sound better than this scratchy 28-year-old piece of vinyl.

Invisible
Sometimes

4 comments:

MisterPrime said...

Funnily enough - since I think I 'spoke' to you about this single before - this came up on my 'Sarah jukebox'* yesterday and I discovered that the end of the a-side suddenly segues into something else entirely on my dubious file copy. Thanks for the handily synchronous replacement...!


*Tidying my desk I found a presumed-lost memory stick with most of the Sarah discography on it - and since I'd been inspired by a series of tweets that Claire W has been doing during lockdown to revisit a load of those old singles, I also dug out an old walkman mp3 player and stuck everything on there (augmented by some stuff that I was able to find on bandcamp) to make the job of finding stuff easier. If I just stick it on shuffle it's like the Best Radio Station Ever. I think I'm literally missing just 5 songs (though some of my sources were dubious to say the least) - you wouldn't happen to have the b-sides to the Ivy singles, by any chance...!?

Brian said...

Ah, MP, I would love to help, obviously, but not only do I not have those two singles, I have never even seen them... ever! Drop me a line next week and let me know what else you need on the road to the complete Sarah set. You just never know...

Arun said...

In the days of digital media creation, it is so difficult to find something that actually soothes us. After listening to this track, I can quite surely say that I am at peace. Finding the right balance between calm and excitement is a skill not mastered by everyone, and this music is beyond perfection.

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Arun - I couldn't agree more. I only 'discovered' these two tracks recently on the Optic Nerve reissue set, and I was blown away by the quality. Especially 'Sometimes'. A worthy final chapter to the Razorcuts story. Lovely.