Thursday, August 22, 2019

Weddoes Return to Well and Pull It Off... Again

When I heard about the 30th anniversary re-recording of 'George Best,' I was suspicious of the entire endeavor. What I did find intriguing was that it had been produced by Steve Albini around the 20th anniversary of the album. Of course, there turned out to be nothing to worry about. In fact, I might be with our pal Drew when he admitted to me, "I think that I may (whispers) prefer the 30th anniversary version of George Best over the original."

You would think I had learned my lesson, but I was worried once more when I heard about the 30th anniversary re-recording of 'Tommy,' just out on Scopitone in the UK and coming to HHBTM Records for U.S. fans this fall. There would be no Albini this time around, and the songs were tackled quite recently, after the 'Tommy' 30th anniversary concert tour, not way back in 2008 like the 'George Best' Albini sessions. After giving the entire endeavor a listen tonight, I have to give the folks in the PR department credit for describing the redo perfectly:

"The band felt, during a Tommy 30th anniversary concert tour, that the songs had grown and evolved. Enter a more confident vocalist... an altogether growlier guitar. A bigger sound. The urgency of a 25-year-old Gedge is replaced with a charming vocalist with years of experience. Everything's warmer and, maybe, gentler... but in a satisfying way." The production sounds contemporary and with a certain crispness and cleanliness not found on the 1988 edition. As the press release intimated, however, it's Gedge's vocals where you'll find the biggest contrast. He's right up front now. Give "Go Out And Get ’Em, Boy!" a listen, and you'll hear what I mean.



Americans may preorder 'Tommy 30' in a variety of options, including a deluxe version on translucent blue vinyl that includes square album art badge, screen-printed tote and screen-printed mini-poster. This boy can't wait. The rest of you should be able to pick it up at your local mom-and-pop shop right now.

9 comments:

MisterPrime said...

Hmm, I saw this in Rough Trade and was suitably underwhelmed - I just couldn't see the point when the George Best re-record came out. I was at one of the gigs and enjoyed it immensely but kind of felt that's where those versions should stay. That said, I've just listened to this track and it sounds really good. No doubt I shall check out the album but I remain tentatively agnostic. Going to see them do Bizarro later in the year too - hopefully that's not lined up next for vinyl...

Brian said...

I understand, MP. In theory, I shouldn't like it either, but both of these re-records work for me. It's a different listen. Youthful songs sung through decades of experience. It's an added bonus that the recordings sound so good. Try not to question motives (difficult in these pessimistic times, I know) and trust that Gedge thought there were real reasons to take another stab at these classics.

drew said...

I bought the George Best one and have been to all the Anniversary tours, this will be the second Bizarro one as they performed it in full a few years ago, maybe it was the 20th. Saw the Tommy one last year it was great but I don’t feel the need to buy this for some reason. More pressing is another copy of Take Fountain as there is a dirty big scratch across side one of mine and I have no idea how it got there.

I have a niggling problem with playing albums from start to finish live, as I tend to like Not to know what I’m going to be getting next.

In Gedge we trust Brian.

Drew

Brian said...

Yes, best to take care of a new Take Fountain, Drew. Hope it wasn't one of the boys messing about.

The Swede said...

I've seen Wedding Present twice in the past 18 months or so, after a break of over 25 years. I don't know what I was thinking - they were absolutely tremendous both times and I'm very tempted by this release.

Swiss Adam said...

The George Bets re-recording I got and enjoyed. The Tommy one seems a bit uninspired- it was a collection of singles and Bs anyway. But, whatever. As Drew says, In Gedge We Trust

Rol said...

I like the idea of, as you say, putting Gedge up front. Gives more prominence to the stories he tells. Such wonderful stories.

Pop Judge said...

If you are trying to make a living from music and your old albums (for which you get only small royalty) still sell most copies then it's a tempting thing to do to re-record and hope that the new version takes over from the old one and you can start making some money from it. Owning the recordings means that you get a lot more from airplay and syncing opportunities too. A modern recording mastered properly will ahem much better chance of getting those sync opportunities too.

I suspect these reasons are just as important as the desire to do better/updated versions.

Brian said...

You are so right, Pop Judge. I thought Squeeze's re-record 'Spot the Difference' was a nice wink and a nod to these endeavors.