Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Curtain Call: The Modern Lovers

In 1993, I picked up 'Live at the Longbranch Saloon' by the Modern Lovers at a home store in rural Japan. Yep, this CD was just a few feet from the latest washing machine and bottles of mold killer. It was strange and exciting to see a live album by them in any setting, and the obi strip shows I spent ¥2,500 for it. I didn't balk at the price because I thought it was one of those exotic Japanese releases I had not known about. This was before the 'Net. If I had been able to check my phone I would have seen it had come out a year earlier and was readily available back home and for a lot less money. Actually, I would not have cared. With most of my music collection in storage back in America, I was always desperate for something new to play.

Six of the nine songs from the self-titled album are here, along with 10 more from a couple of shows recorded at the famed Berkeley club on San Pablo Avenue in 1972 and 1973. The timeline reads that many of these songs had just had proper studio takes. That studio album, as you know, didn't end up seeing a proper release until 1976. Listening to this album today reminds me that this band was way way ahead of its time. I can't even imagine what the crowd standing at the Longbranch must have been thinking in 1972. Richman's between-song banter illustrates his eccentric personality hasn't changed a bit in 47 years.

I dedicate these songs to our pal Drew at Across the Kitchen Table. I play the first one in honor of his auspicious birthday celebrated this week. As Richman, sings, "Someday we'll be dignified and old together." OK, maybe we already are... old anyway. Next comes "Foggy Notion" because Drew is the biggest Velvet Underground fan I know. Finally, Drew just watched 'Repo Man,' and there is a great cover of "Pablo Picasso" in that film. There you have it. Cheers.

Dignified and Old
Foggy Notion
Pablo Picasso

4 comments:

The Swede said...

An excellent selection of tunes Brian and a splendid nod to our mutual blogging chum.

drew said...

Thank you for that Brian, I cannot claim to be in anyway dignified.

How good would it have been to have been in that audience.

Charity Chic said...

I sneaked New England into George’s Maine post!

Brian said...

I saw that CC. I planned on Longbranch during this stretch, but I have to admit I moved it up after seeing the post at your place. Maine is a tough one, but our pal George survived.