Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Curtain Call: 10,000 Maniacs

Let's listen to some live performances this week. This show from 10,000 Maniacs at the Greek in Los Angeles on June 3, 1993, would be one of the last shows Natalie Merchant would front for the band before going solo. Her peers had known that little nugget since before the recording of 'Our Time in Eden,' but the rest of us wouldn't receive the news of her departure until she announced it on MTV in August, saying she "didn't want art by committee anymore."

This unofficial release called 'In the City of Angels' is taken from a radio broadcast, and the sound is quite good. I have a few tiny quibbles with this tour. They didn't play anything from before 'In My Tribe,' not even "Can't Ignore the Train." Also, there are horns on the album they are supporting for this tour, and the section is used liberally on stage, including some of their earlier songs. Hearing saxophone on "Hey Jack Kerouac" hurts my heart. Having said that, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and this is a boot I spin almost as often as their 'MTV Unplugged' album. Here are a few live renditions from the 'In My Tribe' era.

Like the Weather
What's the Matter Here
City of Angels

4 comments:

The Swede said...

One of those odd quirks of my musical life is that while I followed the career of 10,000 Maniacs closely, I know little (and own nothing) of Natalie's solo work - I'm not really sure why. Did you stick with her? These three tunes are sublime.

Brian said...

Hey Swede. As with so many bands from my youth, the bigger they got the less interested I got. I'm a huge fan of the Wishing Chair and In My Tribe. I don't own her solo work either.

drew said...

I don't want to here that version of Hey Jack Kerouc with horns but these sound good.

Like both of you I failed to follow here solo work, I kind of gave up after Blind Man's Zoo. Dance music came along

Howard said...

Brian,

I hear you on those quibbles. So much fine early material.

Being in Rochester, NY for most of the 80s, we had 10,000 Maniacs play many shows in clubs that I at first thought they were a local band, though Jamestown is about 90 minutes drive from Rochester.

The "Secrets of The I Ching" record was in our college station but I admit in 1984-86 for those hallowed ollge DJ years they was so much going on that I didnt give them much attention. Just the "local" band with the oddly named record.

Wasnt till later on and I picked up The Wiahing Chair CD that had several of the earlier tracks like "My Mother The War" and "Grey Victory" added on that I was realized there was a gem hiding in plain sight.

When the community DJ days came around 90-91 I thought there was a 10,000 Maniacs B-side that had Michael Stipe on vocals or duet but memory blurs. I know they teamed up more later you recall anything from that period?

PS Cubs will have to score a lot of runs to keep pressure off that bullpen. Maybe Chatwood becomes a secret weapon out there. Likely we see Happ/Schwarber/Russell moved for pitching as we traded all our top prospects. Cubs actually have some good pitching in AA and high A but that wont help for another year or two when Lester and Hamels contracts are up.

Jeez, obscure music and Cubs, did anyone but you read this far? :-)

--Howard

--Howard