Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Caff Call

Bob Stanley is one of the great champions of indie pop (along with many other genres), and he rounded out his status as Renaissance man with the founding of the short-lived but legendary Caff Corporation in 1989. Here is his explanation of the label that appeared as an insert in CAFF 1:


Throughout the 17 singles, these inserts would often become as entertaining as the music. My favorite might be for CAFF 4 when Stanley says of Close Lobsters, "As I write, the lads are attempting to 'crack' the American 'market', hence no witty Burnett sleevenotes that nobody understands except his cat..." This is a smile because I interviewed Andrew once, and it left my head spinning.

Since Stanley was releasing demos and other songs from the cutting-room floor, these limited singles were probably for die-hard fans. There were some monumental moments, however. The insert for the twangy single from Phil Wilson of the June Brides, for instance, was where he announced he was done with all of this music nonsense. It would be nearly 20 years before we would hear from him again. Stanley says this lesser known take of the Lobs' "Just Too Bloody Stupid" bests the one you know, and he even goes so far as calling the more famous version the "bastardised" one. Not sure I agree with this one being better, but I do enjoy this very different rendition. I'm a huge fan of Razorcuts, and this demo from 1984 heard below is actually my favorite moment of many greats from the band. Harvey Williams is a name that pops up in my collection nearly as often as Beth Arzy and Amelia Fletcher. Here as Another Sunny Day, he takes on OMD from a portastudio, and what a racket it is!

Thanks to Mr. Stanley and all he has done as writer, musician, historian and entrepreneur. Here are a few of my favorite A-sides from the Caff Corporation. You'll no doubt notice most of the bands that appeared on Caff were from the rosters of Creation, Sarah and Subway. Stanley is nothing if not a chap of impeccable taste.

Phil Wilson - Better Days (CAFF 3, 1989)
Close Lobsters - Just Too Bloody Stupid (CAFF 4, 1989)
Another Sunny Day - Genetic Engineering (CAFF 7, 1989)
The Claim - Birth of a Teenager (CAFF 8, 1990)
Razorcuts - Sometimes I Worry About You (CAFF 10, 1990)
The Orchids - An Ill Wind That Blows (CAFF 11, 1990)

3 comments:

Howard said...

this is found gold!!

Echorich said...

The Another Sunny Day version of Genetic Engineering made me smile alll afternoon! I just keep imagining Martin Hannett getting his hands on that track.

Brian said...

Howard,
Thanks for your kind words here and over at your place. Mr. Stanley would be one of my first invites at my fantasy dinner party. I own a handful of original Caff 7" singles. When it comes to anything from Phil Wilson or the June Brides, I'm a completist. Same goes for Close Lobsters. Working my way through those hard-to-find singles by the Orchids. In recent years, bonus tracks on reissues and comps have made it easier to find some of these Caff songs. We can thank labels like Rev-Ola, LTM, Cherry Red and Matinee for that. On to more important things. Can the Cubs right the ship with this awful bullpen?

Echorich,
Here's what Harvey said about Dazzle Ships on the insert for this single: "That LP was a perfect combination of submarine noises, anguished vocals, thrashed guitars and Czechoslovenke radio. I accept no substitute." Stanley called the album "seminal" too. As you know, it's easy to praise the album now, but in 1989 this was still a minority view. Makes me love them all the more. Hey, was thinking about you last week because I was on a family vacation in Fla. Hope all is well.