Monday, September 17, 2018

Sire's Salad Days

With all of these recent Sire posts featuring acts from the '80s and '90s, it sort of feels like an appetizer without an entree. The real legend of the label was born in the mid- to late-'70s when Seymour Stein spent his evenings on the Bowery in New York City soaking in the atmosphere of CBGB. Stein took one famous pass, saying in has book 'Siren Song: My Life in Music,' "I'm a little embarrassed to say that like so many others who saw Blondie perform in the early days, I just didn't see any star of Bethlehem twinkling on the stage," but otherwise, Stein did quite well for his burgeoning label, bagging the likes of the Dead Boys, Richard Hell and, arguably, his biggest signings ever outside of Madonna in Ramones and Talking Heads. As today's picks below clearly illustrate, Stein wasn't shirking his duties on the other side of the pond during this period either.

A few words about Steins's book before I close it for good. Obviously, I thought "Siren Song' was a hell of a read. Surprisingly, I was most riveted not by his days at Sire but by his fascinating early years breaking into the business, first by hanging around the offices at Billboard and then by getting a real education from his mentor, Syd Nathan at King Records. This is a warts-and-all telling, and he doesn't puff himself up as rock royalty, even if he is. There are squirm-worthy tales about his parenting skills and leading a double life as a homosexual and heterosexual, and your jaw will hit the floor when you read the story about Dee Dee Ramone. Every good book needs an antagonist, though, and Mo Ostin head of Warner Bros. Records, makes quite an interesting villain, and he pops up to make trouble for Stein time and time again. As I closed in on the final chapters, I read slower because I didn't want the book to end. That's about the best praise a reader can give.

Here is a taste of what Sire was up to between 1976 and 1980, along with a quick impression from Stein's book about each band. I chose these songs because these are among my faves from their early years.

Ramones - I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
"This was the filthiest sugar and the sugariest filth."

Talking Heads - Pulled Up
"I was being sucked in through the door, like a snake being charmed by an Arabian flute."

Richard Hell & the Voidoids - Blank Generation
"...[Blank Generation] could either take off if given a real push or stiff in total embarrassment if mishandled."

The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
"['Teenage Kicks'] came on John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show. It was such an obvious classic, I almost wet my pants."

Pretenders - The Wait
"I was completely knocked off my feet.... It wasn't cheap, but even Warner knew we were onto a surefire hit and coughed up the money without any moaning."

Echo and the Bunnymen - Rescue
"I count [Echo and the Bunnymen] among the brightest lights on my A&R résumé."

The English Beat - Twist and Crawl
"We got them touring with Talking Heads and the Pretenders, almost double bills that never failed to blow away audiences everywhere they played."

8 comments:

Echorich said...

If I think about Sire Records, most of the bands you have included in this aural overview would immediately come to mind.
It's important to remember this was the land of The Paley Brothers, Garage Psychedelia of The Deviants, Beatles believers Tomorrow (featuring future Yes axeman Steve Howe), Focus, Climax Blues Band Renaissance, and Barclay James Harvest.
But then came 1976 ...it was like a new road was being taken - the Power Pop of Flaming Groovies' Shake Some Action. Ramones would follow with Blitzkrieg Bop.
Stein regrets not signing Blondie, but Blondie were very rough hewn in those early days and probably not a good bet, no matter how much there was bubbling under the surface. The band I always felt belonged on Sire was Television. Stuck on Elektra it was a foregone conclusion that LA based Elektra would have no idea what to do with them.

I look forward to reading the book. Thanks Brian for whetting my appetite for it!

Brian said...

Echorich, Are you sure you haven't already read this book? Ha! Your comment on Blondie could have come from Stein. His "embarrassment" didn't really occur until two years later when Chris Stein finally became the songwriter we would all come to love. You know so much about the earlier years of Sire too. Climax Blues Band kept the label afloat before the CBGB explosion. I couldn't agree more about Television. I wonder where Richard Hell's signing fit into the Television story. Unlike the bands I featured today, the Paley Brothers have never appeared on the blog. I figured they deserved their own separate post. I have the one long player. Look for that in the next week or so. As always, thanks for another thoughtful comment.

Rol said...

Definitely one to add to the ever-expanding reading list. Thanks, Brian.

Echorich said...

So you aren't far from the mark Brian. There is just a bit of my personal journey that intersects with Seymour Stein - via an arterial road through Danny Fields. Stein will always be a Music God to me - of the business kind. But he will also always be a man who knew what kind of power he could wield. Someday I'll get around to writing a few chapters of the inevitable book...

Brian said...

You will get plenty of Danny Fields in the book too. Yes, you really need to get on your memoir, but you know I have pushed for years on that point.

Brian said...

Rol, So many books so little time, but I do think you would enjoy this one.

Swiss Adam said...

Great post and comments thread.

Charity Chic said...

Was blissfully unaware that Madonna started out on Sire
* digs out Mrs CC’s old Madonna albums