Friday, September 28, 2018

Here's to the Single

Stu at Emotional Response lamented recently that people just don't buy 7" singles. With that, he discounted several of his label's 45s with hopes of clearing inventory. Check out this sale! I have to admit I was surprised to hear about this format's lack of popularity. I love me a good single and assumed anything on vinyl was selling like, well, vinyl, and there are a slew of new sevens that have my full attention.

Comet Gain return from a long three-plus year layoff with this one out next week on the always dependable Tapete label out of Hamburg. These snippets from both sides of the 7" tell us the band has gone back to a little bouncier sound than the one we heard on the excellent 'Paperback Ghosts.' (Thanks for recommending that one back in 2014, Drew!)



I'm tardy with this one, but Optic Nerve Recordings has put together an exciting sevens subscription series sure to excite every indie-pop fan that appreciates the golden age of the genre. You get 12 reissued singles in all, and the bands include the likes of the Siddeleys, the Pooh Sticks, East Village, McCarthy, the Servants and many more. Here is the complete release schedule. The series has already kicked off and was already more or less sold out, but I corresponded with Ian at the label earlier this week, and he told me there were a couple of cancellations so you might still be able to get in on this one if you really hurry.

London label WIAIWIA continues to release quality 7" singles year after year, and so far in 2018 they've released memorable 45s from the Catenary Wires, the Orchids and more. Up next are singles from my hero Pete Astor on Oct. 7, followed by new ones in November from Saint Etienne and a split from Gedge bands the Wedding Present and Cinerama covering the Clash and ABBA, respectively. Astor is already guaranteed a spot on my list of the best albums of 2018 with 'One for the Ghost.' Could he make my songs list as well? I can't wait for the "Peter Cook"/"Petrol and Ash" single to arrive in the post next week.

Apologies to downloads, CDs and the like, but the 7" is still my preferred way to listen to a single.

5 comments:

drew said...

I still buy 7" singles too Brian, I love them, especially dinked ones for some reason. You will not be surprised that the Gain single has already been ordered.

MisterPrime said...

Hey, Brian. I pre-ordered that Pete Astor single and it came super-early over a week ago. No idea why, but I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it when it arrives. The Orchids single was great too - and I didn't know about the Wedding Present one at all, so thanks for that. Saw them in Nottingham last week and they were reliably great - it wasn't one of the 'Tommy' shows, unfortunately but it was good, mixed 'Greatest Hits' type setlist nontheless. Cheers, MisterPrime

MisterPrime said...

Boo! Just had a look and the Wedding Present 7" is Sold Out already. Never mind, that'll teach me to keep up...

drew said...

Off to see the WP next Saturday at my new favourite Glasgow venue St Lukes. The boy Gedge never lets you down.

Brian said...

Now that's good news, MisterPrime. In my experience, vinyl never comes early. You always have to move really fast on those WIAIWYA, but that WP/Cinerama 7" was ridiculous.

Drew, I wonder how many times you've seen TWP? Certainly must be nearing your most seen band. Wish I could say the same. I figured you knew about that Comet Gain single. Glad you got in. Slumberland has a nice singles club series going as well, but it seems they aren't taking new members at the moment but might be in the near future. Otherwise, I would have mentioned them as well.