Friday, September 14, 2018

More From Manchester's the Man From Delmonte

Whoa! Slow down! You lot nearly broke the Internet to get to that last post on the Man From Delmonte. Uh, maybe not. How do you follow up a clunker on the Man From Delmonte? With another post on the Man From Delmonte, of course. I'm sure I'm not the only one who fell for their jangly charms, right? During their heyday, there were three hits on the the indie-pop chart ("Big Noise," "(Will Nobody Save) Louise" and "My Love is Like a Gift You Can't Return") and, as frontman Mike West said, "Our parents got to see us on TV." In recent times, thanks to Cherry Red Records, a whole new audience has discovered the band because of the popular 'Manchester North of England' box set and 'C88' and 'C89'compilations.

All of these high points aside, however, I would bet Mike, Sheila, Martin and Howard would say the pinnacle for the Man From Delmonte was appearing on Liz Kershaw's BBC program. They recorded a four-song session that was first transmitted on Aug. 24, 1988, and they never sounded better. The production from BBC's desk man Mike Robinson was clean and crisp, and you can tell the adrenaline gave the quartet an extra bounce. If you don't like these, hmm, well, I guess the world will keep spinning around, but I'll be sad.

Patient (BBC Session)
Australia Fair (BBC Session)
Big Noise (BBC Session)
Like a Millionaire (BBC Session)

7 comments:

Howard said...

Brian -

I'll say "hear-hear"(!!) for two straight posts on a Sound Of Leamington Soap - Vol 1 even(!) band!!

--Howard

Howard said...

auto-correct, damn you!!! Leamington Spa!!!!!!!!

Brian said...

Howard, As Bill Withers sang, just the two of us, you and I. Not sure if I saw this at your place, but did you see that Uwe has the ninth volume of Leamington Spa being pressed right now? Can't wait to see what he's dug up this time.

Howard said...

Brian,
No,, I didn't know that. What can be left?!?! Firestation is something else.

Howard

MisterPrime said...

There was a rather good Summer Sale over at Optic Nerve Records – a particular re-issue label that I presume you hipped me to at some point, Brian – and I picked up a beautiful two-disc clear vinyl re-issue of the first Wolfhounds album there at half-price. I also got a vinyl copy of the Waltones compilation, despite having a CD copy of the Cherry Red version that I got cheap from everyone’s favourite tax-dodging online retailer. The latter group I’d definitely never heard of until you featured them – now they’re a definite ‘lost favourite’ amongst a few from that era. Anyway, despite having originally come out in 2012 or something my copy was numbered 036 – I hope for their sakes they’ve been sending them out high numbers first! The point I’m somewhat tortuously making here is that, whilst people may come over to your place for a heated debate on some obscure Elvis-Costello-related issue they’ll stay for this kind of good stuff. And, eventually, the people who these things matter to will find their way to you (and leave you some belated feedback that you’ll probably not get around to reading…) Keep up the good work!

Brian said...

MisterPrime, Thanks, pal, I needed that. Optic Nerve does a really nice job, don’t they? Ooh, I don’t have that Waltones on vinyl. There are so many high priority records just out or about to be that I can’t justify buying a second copy just now, but it is tempting. All the best to you. Now go get that complete Wolfhounds on BBC record that just came out. You will not be disappointed.

JC said...

find it strange that not many fell from the charms of this lot. strange and surprising.