Monday, April 23, 2018

Reflections on RSD '18

As mentioned last time, I did indeed get up early Saturday to spin the roulette wheel that is Record Store Day. I had not lined up with the other lemmings since 2011. During the in-between years, I either waited until much later in the day to try my luck, or I didn't bother at all. I found going in in the PM worked well for me because most of my wants were records that, frankly, were not the more coveted releases.

Not to be a curmudgeon, but through the years, I grew tired of the whole thing. There was a certain cynicism that sunk in that all of the vultures running into the store when the doors opened were flippers looking to make a fast buck on the backs of real fans that would be tempted to pay big bucks on eBay when they struck out. I'm willing to bet many of you stopped going or never went in the first place for that very reason. Plus, as the saying goes, every day should be record store day, anyway. Well, this year I decided to go because there were four singles I wanted (plus the UK only release I mentioned last time) that I thought might be tough finds by the PM. For those cynics out there, I thought I would give you an update on what RSD felt like these days.

I arrived at my nearest shop about 7:30 for a 9:00 opening. When I pulled up, there were already 50 people lined up in the front, and folks were beginning to snake around the corner of the store. Most of these early risers were sitting on lawn chairs or blankets and sipping coffee from Thermoses. Grizzled veterans. They could also be described as such because I would put the median age at 55. Sure, there were a few millennials, but they were outliers. This surprised me because I assumed the vinyl renaissance was because of the tykes. After standing in line and reflecting, I decided we were a bunch of old guys because most of the RSD releases were catered to us. Most twentysomethings aren't looking for singles by Zeppelin or Jimi. Most of this crew looked like that's exactly why they were there.

By 8:30, I estimated the line to be around 300. It was overcast and cold, and I stood there shivering and wondering whether this was all worth it. I continued to people watch. Everyone seemed much happier and more excited than I was. There were many couples, which was another surprise. The first real warning sign that my cynical nature was founded came when I heard a male-female duo behind me plotting strategy. One said to the other, "I'll pick up two copies of that one, and you'll get two copies too." Friggin' flippers. By 8:55, the chairs had been put way, and the line had tightened considerably. So much so that I was now at least in front of the store instead of along the side of it. Seeing the door made me feel a whole lot better.

I've heard there are stores that only let a certain number of customers in at a time. As shoppers leave, new customers take their place. I was not at one of those shops. At 9:02, the doors were unlocked and every person in that line pushed their way into the store like a tsunami, pouring in and filling every available inch of floor space. The left side of the store had a couple of folding tables put up for the RSD albums that started with letter A-H. The middle of the store had I-P. The right side had Q-Z. The 7" records were on a tiny table in the back.

My four wants were as follows: David Bowie - "Let's Dance (Full-Length Demo)" 12", Chris Bell - "I Am the Cosmos" 7" with gatefold sleeve and liner notes by Chris Stamey, Nico - "I'm Not Sayin'" 7" with gatefold sleeve on white vinyl, and Frank Wilson - "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" 7" on purple vinyl. The Bowie 12" was No. 4 on my list of four, but I thought it might be the first to go. I pushed my arm through a mess of people crowded around the table and grabbed it as someone thumbed through the box. I made my way to the 7" section and was shocked twice over. First, none of the 300 strong were looking at them. Not one. Second, 7" singles were housed in a shoe-sized box. Clearly, this store got the shaft or the employees nabbed everything before the doors opened. I found my three wants in seconds, and there was only one copy Wilson and Nico. There were two copies of Bell. As I walked away, there were a couple of guys behind me ready to look at the singles. I was lucky enough to have had the table to myself.

There were four registers open at the counter with no wait. My purchases were put into a really nice burlap RSD album bag full of swag I could appreciate. Buttons, CD and photo promos and the like. I squeezed through the aggressive crowd with my bounty and made my way to the door. I did enjoy seeing one guy look at me with his jaw open as if it ask, "You're done?" When I got outside, I exhaled and looked at the time on my phone as tardy customers literally ran around me and pushed themselves into the door. 9:07. I was in and out in five minutes. The scene inside was savage, but it was like the seas had parted just for me. I got everything I wanted... quickly, easily and priced decently.

In the past 24 hours, I have monitored eBay and other markets. Yes, the flippers have been busy. For example, the numerous Nico singles up for sale on eBay are priced between $25 and $42 before shipping, and some of those shipping prices are ridiculous. One bastard in the UK is charging $27 for shipping the 7" to America. C'mon, man. Isn't it enough you've already nearly quadrupled the price I paid for it on Saturday before shipping? Disgusting. To sum up, everything I hated about RSD at the beginning of the decade is as evident as ever, and it has left a bad taste. I think I just got lucky this year. I will need to be tempted by several interesting releases before I would even consider doing it again. Of course, that's what I said in 2011.

Chris Bell - You and Your Sister (Country Version)
Chris Bell - You and Your Sister (Acoustic Version)

9 comments:

drew said...

Glad you got what you wanted although the colouer of the Frank Wilson had me arching an eyebrow! As I said before I didn't intend to go but got into Monorail at about 12:30 with absolutely no clue as to what I was going to buy as I hadn't checked the releases. I had received an email earlier in the week from the Drean Syndicate promoting their tour and 12" which I thought would be a USA only release but picked up a copy in Monorail, along with the Heads second album, MC5 single to replace my dodgy bootleg copy and a few non RSD releases the Liminanas last album but one a Bonnie Prince Willy single and a pristine copy of Underachievers Please Try Harder which I was informed when I paid for it came from Tracyanne's own collection. But the buy of the day was not a record but a T-Shirt from the shop just up from Monorail that we looked in last May, if you remember. https://app.box.com/s/vgh2vt90q5kmj6hd0ox98zlwsj0cunbq.

I have very similar feelings to you towards RSD it's day is definately done. It has always irked me that it is called Record Store Day over here, we don't have stores we have shops.

Brian said...

Nice haul, my friend, and a great shirt. I was listening to Jonathan Richman on Friday night. Weird. Really cool story about that Camera Obscura album too. Makes me long for Glasgow.

Dirk said...

Great story, Brian! Having read it, in a sense, it makes me happy that we don't have RSD here in Germany. At least I don't think we have ... then again there aren't any record shops left anyway where I live, so what difference would it make?

TheRobster said...

I was typing a reply to your post, but by the third paragraph realised it would be better as a post in its own right over at my place. So you can read about my RSD exploits tomorrow. If you really want to.....

Brian said...

Thanks, Robster. I thought you might, and I look forward to it. If you need anything from the Bowie 12”, drop me a line. I owe you.

Swiss Adam said...

Good post Brian. Largely mirrors my feelings except I didn't bother this year at all (except finding a 12" I was after for £15 online, face value price).

Brian said...

Congrats, Adam. An even better scenario than mine. Didn’t even have to leave the house!

Rol said...

Great post, Brian. Glad you got what you wanted: it made the whole, distasteful experience worthwhile. I'm glad I'm not a part of such things anymore.

JC said...

Superb piece. Delighted it worked out for you on the US side of things. RSD has tuned into something quite distasteful, and you've nailed it perfectly.