Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I've Been Telling Lines I Never Knew...

A couple of days ago George over at Jim McLean's Rabbit featured a wonderful cover of "Walk Away Renée" by the Four Tops. Not surprisingly, now I'm listening to the Left Banke incessantly. Here is one of the most overlooked singles of all time. Released in the spring of 1967, "She May Call You Up Tonight" peaked at a disappointing No. 120 on the Billboard chart. The protagonist has been making up stories to keep one of his pals away from a girl he has a history with, and whom he still seemingly likes. The girl is planning to call his pal, and the storyteller knows he's about to get busted. What will he say next? I love everything about this song. It reminds me of something the Zombies might have done during the "Odessey and Oracle" days. Sundazed did a great job reissuing the 'Walk Away Renée/Pretty Ballerina' album a few years ago, and you can pick it up here.

She May Call You Up Tonight

So, if you're a regular reader, you might be asking why I don't have the next song for my '90s countdown up today. I hit a snag at No. 44. As a song approaches, I'll spend the previous few days listening to the song several times as I decide what I want to say about it. I came to a conclusion about the next song: I don't like it nearly as much as I did in 1990. In fact, although I love the chorus, I am finding the verses grating. So much so, I have decided I don't want it on the list. I hope to have the mess this creates sorted out in the next day or so.

5 comments:

Charity Chic said...

That'll give you some room to sneak The Cardigans in Brian!

george said...

Or some Fall! Brian, you're allowed to change your mind, it's your rules. I'd like to know what the song is, though. Enjoying She May Call You Up Tonight.

Brian said...

CC, Aha! You may just get them in yet!

George, I think since I brought it up I should reveal the song. Should be coming up in a post later today. Loving that Four Tops cover. Thanks for that.

kevinpat said...

This is with out a doubt one of my favorite songs ever. From the wonderful piano intro into the sparkling harmonies and the swirling bridge cascading into pop frenzy. How's that for hyperbole?? Hahahaha. LOVE this track!! Thanks for highlighting it!! And for clarifying for me…I was never sure if it was "I've been telling lies/ or lines I never knew". A true pop gem that once again slipped by the masses. Their loss….

Brian said...

Hello Kevinpat. Welcome. Completely with you on this one. I thought it was "lies" for many years. Once you find out it's "lines" it sounds crystal clear and you won't be able to believe you ever heard it incorrectly. There is so much to say about this band and this album. Recent reunions and the timing surrounding the death of a band member is the kind of stuff right out of a movie and only adds to the legend. In other words, expect more Left Banke here at some point. Chime in when you can.