Sunday, June 21, 2015

For Dad

No gush. Just thinking about Dad today. Hard to believe he will have been gone 20 years come October. One of the last songs I remember playing for him was "The Beast in Me" from the first of Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' with producer Rick Rubin. My Dad was a big Cash fan, and I am a huge fan of the songwriter, Mr. Nick Lowe. So, it was a rare moment of musical common ground. I did it all backwards. I could have enjoyed Cash in all of his glory from an early age, but that was Dad's music. So, of course, I hated it. That's what kids do. While lifelong fans of Cash saw the 'American Recordings' series as icing on the cake, this was where I finally dipped my big toe. Dad, you were certainly right about Johnny Cash. I wish I had opened my ears and my mind a little sooner.

The Beast in Me

6 comments:

The Swede said...

Nice words Brian. You're quite right, Dads are there to be rebelled against aren't they? Until, much later, you realise they were right all along. Sounds like your old man had good taste.

Scott said...

I can relate to every word you have written there Brian. Your post today made me smile as I recognised so much of myself and my own Dad in your lovely words.

Walter said...

It made me thinking about my Dad as well Brian. He passed away 5 years ago and we hadn't a common ground in music. But it's never too late to join his musical preferences - especially it was Mr. Cash. By the way - I recognized the quality of Jaques Brel too late to discuss it with my Dad.

C said...

A lovely poignant post, Brian. I think it's just the normal way of things, isn't it... we revel in being different from our parents when we're young, only recognising and appreciating our similarities as we age. In my case it relates to my mum rather than my dad.

Brian said...

Happy this one hit home for some of you. If you can, give your parents a hug. If that's no longer possible, put on one of their favorite records and honor them that way. I promise it feels good.

kevinpat said...

As a dad and as a son I know some things you need to discover on your own. My dad never understood my love of Motown and Stax and James Brown. He thought I was in the wrong neighborhood, so to speak. of course it gave me secret pleasure to know it bugged him. And I know it gave him secret pleasure for him to know I didn't know he knew. It's the core of father/son relationships. And we love them all for the better! A belated Happy Father's Day to all, including my dad who can only see this from looking down. Nice trib Brian!