Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 95)

95. "Circuit No Musume"
Artist: Puffy AmiYumi
Year: 1997

My road to this duo had nothing to do with the fact I lived in Japan in the mid-'90s. I was already back in my home country when I read that Andy Sturmer, formerly of the legendary power-pop outfit Jellyfish (more on them later), was known as "the Godfather" of the band because he named them PUFFY and and was writing songs and helping in the production of the gals' music. Incidentally, they are called Puffy AmiYumi here in America thanks to Sean Combs issuing a cease-and-desist order. The music is saccharin pop, and they steal riffs with the subtlety of the Strokes (just listen to the last five seconds of this one...), but I can't help but love them anyway. Ah, the things we remember... I saw them when they did an in-store at Chicago's Virgin Megastore around the turn of the Millennium. I was in awe because they both had mobile phones that could take pictures! Anyway, this song, known as "Wild Girls on Circuit," is one of a few songs from the early singles compilation 'An Illustrated History' that could have made this list.

2 comments:

The Swede said...

Needless to say, this is a new name on me, but you reeled me in by dropping Jellyfish into the conversation. What a great band. Puffy Ami Yumi is good fun too.

Echorich said...

This series is seriously reminding me of how much I had forsaken pop and rock in the 90's. This was the decade or deep, soulful, joyous House Music for me. Grunge and Britpop spoiled it all for me.