Friday, February 20, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (No. 93)

93. "Need You Around"
Artist: Smoking Popes
Year: 1994

Unless you're a die-hard fan from their early days around Chicago (and there are plenty of those!), you probably only know of Smoking Popes for two things: One, "Need You Around" was included on 'Clueless,' one of the most successful soundtracks of the decade. Two, the band is a personal favorite of Morrissey. Smoking Popes opened for him while touring in the fall of '97, and they must have left quite an impression. In 2010, to commemorate Friday the 13th of August that year, the artist named his top 13 albums for the Quietus, and Smoking Popes secured one of the coveted spots.

Morrissey asks, "Did you ever hear 'Born To Quit'? It's by the Smoking Popes. I thought that album was extraordinary, the most lovable thing I'd heard in years." You know, I hear a little of Stephen in this one, and I bet he did too. This was Smoking Popes' only hit, peaking at No. 35 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.

4 comments:

The Swede said...

Very chuffed to see this on your countdown. A magnificent tune from a great LP.

Brian said...

Hi, Mr. Swede. This is one of those songs to which I had no compass. I really had no idea if anyone would remember or like it. So, your words have made my day.

george said...

This is GREAT song. And gues what, I've never heard of this lot either!

Brian said...

George,
Smoking Popes moment in the sun was merely a flash, but Born to Quit is worth digging for in the used bins. Still haven't been able to comment at your place, but I'm reading every day. Loved the prison theme.